We believe that an unconfirmed earthquake happened in Guam. When you felt this earthquake, please tell usMore Info

(Major) Earthquakes list December 14, 2012 - Strong earthquake off the coast of Southern California

REAL TIME EARTHQUAKE LIST S – WORLD – REGIONS – COUNTRIES – STATES
Felt an earthquake ?
Click on I FELT IT below or use the form at the bottom.
Worldwide earthquakes M 4.4 or higher.  Earthquakes of M 2.5 or more, click here.
Keep this page open (in a browser tab) – NEW POSTINGS WILL APPEAR AUTOMATICALLY.
A big Thank You to reader Tania from Florida, USA for her kind donation today

6.3 magnitude earthquake off the coast of Baja California
 Two strong earthquakes just hit far off the California - Baja  California coast, the first one being a 6.3 at a depth of 10km and 262km from land, the second one with a magnitude of 6.1 at a depth of 11 km and closer but still not dangerous distance of 142km. Both earthquakes are preliminary magnitudes. Theorical calculations from the USGS are showing that 1,735,000 people would have felt a IV shaking on the mercalli scale (light shaking) for the second earthquake, this shaking includes the cities of Rancho Palos Verdes and Long Beach, California; and a II-III (Weak shaking) for at least 9 millon people including the cities of Los Angeles, Anaheim, Santa Ana and Riverside.
This earthquakes are harmless and should create no damage, a tsunami can't be generated.
+++ The text above was based on the initial data reported by USGS - The second earthquake was however deleted. All this and a lot more updates via the link below.

We have transferred the text which was earlier written here to an in-depth article, containing only the information of this earthquake. Please click on this link to the following in-depth article
Very strong earthquake at a safe distance out of the coast shakes Southern California and Northern Mexico

SUPERFAST earthquake NOTIFICATION TWEETS up to your own MAGNITUDE choice

Label info : M = magnitude, D = depth (km), Time = UTC - Click here for the Time Zone world map.
Click here for examples of our "earthquake notifications (button below)"
NEW EARTHQUAKES and EXPERIENCE REPORTS WILL APPEAR AUTOMATICALLY

USGS Off The Coast Of California Dec 14 10:50 4.7 9 MAP
USGS Off The Coast Of California Dec 14 10:36 6.1 11 MAP
GEOFON Off W Coast Of Baja California Dec 14 10:36 6.4 20 MAP
EMSC Off W. Coast Of Baja California Dec 14 10:36 6.4 10 MAP
USGS Off The West Coast Of Baja California Dec 14 10:36 6.3 11 MAP
USGS Off The West Coast Of Baja California Dec 14 10:36 6.4 20 MAP
  • Riverside, ca - it lasted for maybe 20 seconds and was strong to make shake a chair I was sitting on for the first 8 sec or so
  • San Diego - felt light shaking
  • Escondido ca - Just felt the bed rocking back and forth for a quite a while actually didn't wake me since I was already up felt good
  • Anaheim - Slow smooth whirlpool rolling shake
  • Aliso Viejo, CA - My appt rolled on 3rd floor about 15-20 min ago for about 15 sec felt like an earthquake
  • Coronado, CA - Light shaking...lights swaying, plate rattled...
  • Santee, CA - A light shaking woke me up.
  • Tijuana - Duro como 2, 3 segundos
  • San Diego, Ocean Beach, CA 92107 - Been through many, this was the longest feeling one, My 2nd story 100 year old apt, the floor swayed and twisted.
  • Escondido, Ca - PMC Downtown, we felt it !! Night Shift L&D Staff Escondido, Ca.
  • Hillcrest - Strong!Seemed long
  • Tijuana - Woke me up
  • Pasadena, ca - Furniture , office , the whole room shook and swayed back and forth , right to left ( sideways )
  • Inglewood - It was crazy it didnt wake me up, my dog did
  • Barrio Logan - Lasted like 7 seconds.i thought the devil was under my bed to kidnap my soul.
  • Pico Rivera, ca - Suttle sway and shake. Lamp and windows shook
  • Coronado - Felt the shaking for about couple of seconds .
  • San Diego - Bed swaying .... Long shaking - 100 yr old warehouse lofts next to Santa Fe train station - it still feels like there is movement 20 min. later.
  • La jolla, San Diego - Items in home rattling, enough to wake me up.
  • Coronado - Nothing fell off walls but certainly the house shook
  • Point Loma - Woken up from sleep
  • Coronado - Rolling...not shaking. Enough to awaken family
  • LaJolla Ca - Probably would not wake anyone but I was awake gently shaking. Approx time was 0215
  • Spring Valley, CA - I'm upstairs so felt a little shaking. My hubby 2 blocks away on a house with foundation felt slight rolling.
  • San Diego, ca - Bed shaking woke me up. Heard small decorative items rattling. Sliding door was shaking. Lasted about a quick 10secs
  • El Cajon - I thought something was under my bed
  • San Diego, ca - Light swaying things on wall rattling made me nervous can't go back to sleep
  • Pacific Beach, San Diego - Bed shaking slightly, enough to wake me up, but not my roommate who is still asleep.
  • Anaheim - Was awake for odd reason then started feeling the earthquake. Was pretty frightened ... I hope the world doesn't really end :
  • Chula Vista, CA. - (o.O
  • Spring Valley Ca - Woke me up.
  • Scrips ranch - Woke up from light shaking
  • Temecula, CA - Time posted is an estimate. Guessing about 2:00 am 12/14. Sharp jolts then pause, followed by moderate to light shakes.
  • Rancho Bernardo, San Diego - Was laying in bed as it started, wad pretty long. Woke both my parents up n I got pretty scared to even get up...
  • Spring valley - Thought I was having a paranormal expierince. My dog was spooked and my bed was shaking a lot!
  • El Cajon, Ca - Woke me up. Windows rattling. Felt rolling sensation. Aftershock about five minutes later. Less strong and of less duration.
  • Spring Valley - It got my attention!
  • Pacific Beach, San Diego - Started light and got stronger and it seemed like lated a long time, scary
  • Escondido - aside from the 2010 Easter quake, this was the longest, strongest quake i've felt. Felt like a good 10-20 seconds of continuous rolling AND shaking.
  • Rancho Bernardo - Happened to be awake and heard house creaking.
  • Ocean Beach, San Diego, CA - My couch shook, the hanging objects in my living room were swaying, my cats were startled, and all of my neighbor's wind chimes made noise. It lasted only a few seconds.
  • Ocean Beach - Time is approximate. Couch shook, hanging objects in my living room were swaying, cats were startled, and my neighbor's wind chimes all made a lot of noise.
  • La Mesa - Bed rattled and felt it until it gradually stopped for about 7 - 10 seconds.
  • North Pacific beach - Screen door rattled and most of bed/desk were shaking. Woke me up
  • La Mesa - It was brief, but strong. All at once everything in my room began to sway (not violent shaking or sounds to pre warn). Talk about equilibrium being messed with! L*
  • Tijuana - Nice movement down south...
  • San Diego - Bad shaking woke me up
  • Fontana, Ca - Sitting during break at work and felt light rolling for about 5 seconds...
  • Pt Loma - Enough to wake me up, one sharp jolt and a little little rolling. nothing further
  • Escondido, CA 92027 - Woke me up and it lasted a good 10-20 seconds ... what a way to welcome me back to California!
  • san diego ca. 92173 - i was sleeping when a movment wake me up. i saw that everything was moving. Ihave been in other earthquake(northrighe,LA,1993) and this one was like 6.0 but didn't last long like 4 sec
  • LAGUNA NIGUEL - I WAS A SLEEPING & A QUICK JOLT WOKE ME, I KNEW IT WAS A QUAKE. IT LASTED ONLY 1 TO 2 SECONDS, I FEEL BACK TO SLEEP AS SOON AS I KNEW IT STOPPED.
  • Oceanside - Woke me up.thought same one walking loudly in the house.
  • Escondido California - I woke up from my sleep to get some water and just a few brief moments after i felt the shaking and heard the rattling of things in my home. I am not positive on the time I felt it because like I stated I had just woke up. I am now at my office at work, and my boss had felt it as well in San Marcos CA
  • Irvine, CA - I live in Irvine, CA. It woke me. Felt the smaller one after shock also.
  • San Diego - Not sure about the time, but the noise of the windows shaking woke me up.
  • Rancho Bernardo - I was asleep and was woken by the shaking. It lasted a few seconds and was pretty strong.
  • San Diego, ca - Woke me. Thought it was my husband!! Guess an aftershock due to time lapse?
  • Chula Vista, CA - Woke us out of sound sleep, bed shaking for several seconds then rolling sensation several times later.
  • EMSC Vanuatu Dec 14 09:55 4.7 10 MAP
    USGS Myanmar Dec 14 02:17 4.7 23 MAP
    GEOFON Myanmar Dec 14 02:17 4.9 10 MAP
    USGS Off The East Coast Of Honshu, Japan Dec 14 01:22 4.9 39 MAP
    EMSC Off East Coast Of Honshu, Japan Dec 14 01:22 4.9 42 MAP
    GEOFON Off East Coast Of Honshu, Japan Dec 14 01:22 5.0 10 MAP

Data sources courtesy :  USGS - EMSC - GFZ - GEONET

Earthquakes occurred yesterday (UTC time), but today local time

Albania Dec 13 21:39 PM M 4.5 Depth 10.0 km

Useful information to read this daily earthquake list
    This earthquake list covers important earthquakes in the world. If a more detailed page is present, the earthquake line will be linked to the detailed page. The multi-source approach has been setup to compare values as seismology is not an exact science and needs a lot of calculations. The reference for the time zone is UTC (Coordinated Universal Time, also called GMT). Color explanation if we add some details above the list : green color = NOT dangerous for damage or injuries, orange color = MODERATE risk for damage or injuries, red color = CONSIDERABLE risk for damage or injuries

QuakeSOS+ and QuakeSOS free are iPhone applications developed by Armand Vervaeck, the founder of Earthquake Report. The Application simplifies immediate group communication to friends and family members (with your exact GPS location) and is feeding the users with Earthquake Report news. The 0.99 US$ QuakeSOS+ version will support the activities of SOS Earthquakes.

a

Earthquake-Report.com headlines on twitter

@OnlyQuakeNews : Get all the headlines of our earthquake-report.com articles + regular updates on ongoing events
    @ArmandVervaeck : Personal twitter account (mainly in Dutch) of the founder of Earthquake-Report.com and SOS Earthquakes. This twitter account is besides for earthquake news also for personal notes

X

Comments

1. lara white says:

The earthquake on Dec 14 at 2:36am PST woke me up and scared me. I'm in Costa Mesa on the boarder of Santa Ana, close to South Coast Plaza! I sent a text to a girlfriend, "earthquake", and then another text, "scared" (2:37am)! It's just I've been in too many earthquakes and am always frightened when my bed shakes, even when its just a single jolt...cause I always anticipate there may be more to come. Unfortunately, I was visiting Istanbul, Turkey when the Ismit earthquake hit on Aug 17, 1999, a 7.2 magnitude that killed around 17,000 people and I can honestly say I thought I was going to die in that one and was greatly traumatized. I had to live outside for 5 days after that earthquake because people were too scared to go back into their homes. When I did go back into the apt where I was staying in there was a crack in the wall next to my bed and that was on the 8th floor of a new modern high-rise. For 6 months thereafter I was dizzy all the time...I would have to stop in the shopping mall and try to gain balance because it felt like my head was disconnected from my body. Now I can no longer enjoy theme park rides, even though I use to love them; like all the rides at magic mountain. I am now forever changed and I just pray we get some warning as to when to expect the big one here in CA. I do not feel prepared, as in have all the proper supplies: water, etc. So I'm going to have to get to work on that! I'll take this as a reminder!

Wow Lara, thanks for your great testimony - It is a lesson to those who are thinking that it will never happen. We @ earthquake-report.com are trying to sensibilize tourists who are traveling to earthquake sensitive areas mainly by writing to holiday organisers to inform them in 1 minute time on what to do if an earthquake strikes. NO REACTION AT ALL. Irritating and dangerous! The Christchurch earthquake had fatalities from 19 or more countries and this will be only a beginning as people tend to travel around the globe. Chance on an earthquake is far higher in some areas than a hotel fire, however I haven't stayed in a hotel yet telling people what to do in case of an earthquake.
        Will pull your great testimony into the main article (in-depth article page)

2. ANGIE B THAT'S WHO I BE says:

WELL DIDN'T KNOW WE EVEN HAD ONE AND ITS 12:20 AM 12/15/12 THE NEXT DAY JUST WAS TOLD AND LOOKED IT UP ONLINE WOW I WAS IN DEEP SLEEP HA/HA/HA GLAD TO HEAR EVERYONE SAFE OVER ALL

3. It woke me up and lasted about 10-20 seconds, what a way to welcome me back to California!

4. Pasadena , CA. Strong... I felt it ! Furniture , office , the whole room shook and swayed back and forth , right to left ( sideways )