Moderate earthquake in the San Fransisco Bay Area (epicenter at East Richmond Heights)

Earthquake overview : A moderate earthquake occurred at early morning close to Richmond and Berkeley in the San Fransisco Bay Area district
"I have Felt it" Reports --> see below + Let us know "how you have felt this earthquake"
To read the full story as it happened, we advise our readers to start at the lower part of the page (earthquake data).
Check also our California-only earthquake list

Keep this page open or return regularly as we will be back with more details when they become available

Update 14:55 UTC
- El Cerrito police reported not having received any damage or injury reports.
- An aftershock was reported near the epicenter about 30 minutes later.
- Luckily, still NO reports of damage or injuries
Only limited reports of very minor damage like broken objects from falling from shelves, cupboards etc

Update 14:41 UTC
BART trains were halted temporarily and service soon resumed.

Update 14:40 UTC
Coordinates released by the U.S. Geological Survey place the epicenter at the Mira Vista Golf and Country Club along the Hayward Fault, which runs through the East Bay hills. The Hayward Fault is considered by many seismologists to be a prime candidate for a major earthquake. The 2010 update of the report, "On Shaky Ground," by the Association of Bay Area Governments, reported that there's an estimated 62 percent probability of a destructive quake of magnitude 6.7 or greater in the Bay Area in the years 2003-2032.

Update 14:29 UTC
- Based on the current reported shaking values, earthquake-report.com does not expect to see major damage during this earthquake. We do not exclude cracks in walls, objects falling from shelves etc.

Update 14:24 UTC
- The fault line were today's earthquake took place is the same as the one which was responsible for a number of other quakes from the preceding months.

Update 14:10 UTC
- 27,000 people will have experienced a strong shaking (East Richmond Heights and El Cerrito)
- 276,000 people a moderate shaking (MMI V) (Kensington, Albany, El Sobrante and Richmond)

- This earthquake will probably not lead to any damage but it surely must have been scary so early in the morning

Earthquake-Report.com GOOGLE+ / Earthquake-Report.com FACEBOOK
"I Have Felt It" reports as received by Earthquake-Report.com
See below for all the received Earthquake Experience reports as received by earthquake-report.com

Most important Earthquake Data:
Magnitude : 4.0
UTC Time : Monday, March 05, 2012 at 13:33:12 UTC
Local time at epicenter : Monday, March 05, 2012 at 05:33:12 AM at epicenter
Depth (Hypocenter) : 8.8 km  (5.5 miles)
Geo-location(s) :
2 km (1 miles) N (1°) from El Cerrito, CA
2 km (1 miles) SE (137°) from East Richmond Heights, CA
4 km (2 miles) E (96°) from Richmond, CA
7 km (4 miles) NNW (341°) from Berkeley, CA

Links to important maps
USGS Did You Feel It Map
Google satellite map showing the epicenter and the surrounding area
Historic earthquakes map
Seismic hazard map
Shaking map
Focal mechanism report
Human impact map
I Have Felt this earthquake

Refresh this list
USGS Central California Mar 05 16:33 2.7 2 MAP
  • Bradley CA - felt very week shaking in second story bedroom occ.for about an hour or so between 15:00 and 16:00am
  • USGS San Francisco Bay Area, California Mar 05 13:33 4.0 8 MAP
  • Benicia, CA - The windows were shaking loudly. I knew we were having an earthquake.
  • Clayton, CA - Approx time of quake 5:30a
  • Forest Knolls, CA - It was rolling...
  • Oakland, CA - Just woke up with the shaking!
  • Petaluma, CA - Shook me awake on our second story bedroom around 5:30 AM. Our old windows rattling a lot too
  • Concord, CA 94519 - I was seating at the computer this morning when a quick jolt moved through my apartment at approximately 5:32 A.M.
  • San Rafael, CA - At 0535, did not feel anything more than what felt like someone dropping furniture in the room. No prolonged shaking.
  • San Francisco Bay Area - We were woken by what sounded like a small explosion near the house, followed by a couple of seconds of strong shaking of closer doors and smaller items. We didn't feel it under our feet but it definitely was brief and very sharp.
  • Richmond, CA - First little, than next shake bigger
  • California - appx 5:43 am
  • Martinez, CA - Shake for 3-5 seconds and woke me up
  • San Rafael, CA - Short lived, light shaking
  • San Mateo - I was sitting here texting a friend on my phone when all of a sudden I felt a good bit of shaking on my couch.. it wasn't light.. but fairly moderate shaking and I am all the way in San Mateo, and it started on the other side of the bay
  • Berkeley, CA - It was a pretty long quake.
  • El Cerrito, CA - Woke me up on 3rd floor of apartment building. Big shaking but nothing fell. Noisy 3 seconds?
  • Marin, Ca - I was sleeping in bed when it started rocking back and forth. Felt like someone shook our bed for 10 seconds.
  • Richmond, CA - I woke up to my dog barking and realized immediately that it was an earthquake ..the bed was shaking n I could hear it...the windows shaking the roar an earthquake makes..it lasted a few seconds
  • Tiburon, Ca - Was in bed and it felt like something pushed building.
  • San Rafael, Ca - Awoken at 5:30 a.m. with a jolt and strong shaking - only a few seconds
  • San Francisco,CA - Strong enough to wake me up. Hard to judge severity. This was my first one. Around 5:35am approximately.
  • San Ramon, Ca - Woke me and my cats. Just a gentle roll
  • Marina District, San Francisco - 5:32 a.m. March 5, 2012. Awakened by strong shaking which didn't last long. Marina District, San Francisco
  • 94708 - Woke me up, Long shaking in two waves.
  • Oakland - Walls moved a lot
  • Palo Alto. CA - It was 5:33am on my cellphone. I was already awake but was still in bed, surfing the net on my android when I suddenly felt a strong jolt. Sat up and tried to feel it there would be some after shock. No after shock. I was anticipating for a bigger jolt. Thank God it was for a few seconds.
  • Petaluma, Ca - Whole house rocked pretty hard two times. Dogs were freaking out.
  • El Sobrante, CA - First there was a tiny shake, I wasn't sure what it was, then there was loud shaking for 3 or 4 seconds.
  • Forest Knolls, CA - Heard it more than felt it. Our dog was very agitated, barked and ran downstairs but then came right back to bed and settled down. We didn't feel any motion, but heard rumbles. Thought maybe someone was in our house moving heavy furniture. Woke us up.
  • Los Gatos - Woke up to the rattling of tv in our second story bed room
  • San Francisco - Freaked me out. I thought there was someone in my room because my closet doors were rattling. My kitty however was unfazed. First one i have felt living here.
  • 94941 - I awoke after a quick jolt ran through my apartment. It only lasted a moment.
  • San Francisco - My door was slamming against the door rim and i heard a few cracks in my walls.
  • San Francisco - A bang, then significant shaking 3-4 seconds
  • Martinez, CA - A bang shook the bed and then I heard the cabinets shake for a few seconds.
  • Lafayette, CA - The shaking was enough to wake everyone in our home. The lamps and tables were rattling, and the furniture had shifted in a couple of our living areas!
  • San Francisco Bay Area - Woke us up at The Presidio...moderate shaking at 5:30am
  • Pinole, CA - Strong but brief shaking
  • San Francisco - One quick jolt.
  • San Francisco - It was not big,YET
  • Vacaville, CA - Woke up to apartment rocking, creaking, blinds swaying but then it stopped. I looked at the clock, it was 5:35a.m. It scared me, I was just hoping it didn't get bigger.
  • Sonoma, CA - Woke me up around 5:30 with my mirror banging against my wall and my bed and walls rumbling.
  • San Rafael - Woke up to what felt like the vibrations of a truck driving by, but it took too long. It stopped and everything was fine. My dog and two cats didn't respond to the shaking.
  • Oakland, CA - My bamboo screen fell down in kitchen along with candlesticks in living room. Woke me up as my bed shook
  • El Sobrante, CA - Jolted us awake. Pictures fell off the wall and smashed.
  • Orinda, Ca - Woke me up at 5:33 am... bed jolted hard, heard creaking throughout house... nothing else...
  • Richmond Heights - I thought a car hit my house. Pretty strong.
  • San Rafael - Like a vibration. I was in bed and it woke me and it felt as if the mattress springs were like jello.
  • San Rafael, Ca - I was on a boat asleep last night in San Rafael. Loch lomand marina, and was awoken to the boat vibrating like it was hit by something... the water was low, so i guess the ground flexed up and hit the bottom of the boat...it was enough to make the bed vibrate for about 10 seconds. i don't know... everything outside was completely silent, and no boats were near ... so it must have been an earthquake ER : amazing story !
  • Novato, Ca - Woke to the sounds and a shake. Daughter came in from her room said
  • Mill Valley - Mild then strong rolling jolt.Rattled heavy wall mount art and mirrors. Unsettling. Woke me up 5|:33 am.
  • San Francisco - I am near Saint Frances memorial hospital. I was waken by the earthquake that shook only once. To me it felt like a moderate shake.
  • Berkeley - Woke me up, and rattled the doors. Fun stuff
  • Fairfax, CA - I was asleep when I felt my bed shaking/moving violently. It lasted about five seconds. I only felt one shock wave...I'm guessing the second one.
  • Sebastopol - Had no idea it was an earthqiake. Just all of a sudden felt this mild shaking.
  • Bernal Heights, San Francisco - The mild side-to-side shaking woke me up early in the morning. It went on for at least several seconds as I woke up, but it's hard for me to tell how long it was going on. There was an even-milder aftershock several minutes later.
  • San Rafael - The cat freaked out before the quake but it wasn't anything major.
  • UNITED STATES - felt shaking while asleep. sensed it was an earthquake. seemed to last several seconds. felt like and sounded like gravel rock jumping around in an unsteady and shaky hand.
  • Petaluma,CA - Woke my boyfriend and I up from our sleep to our bed shaking and the house rattling. It was quite the wake up jolt! Our cat didn't seem to be happy either.
  • Novato, CA - Felt shaking while asleep. sensed it was an earthquake. Seemed to last several seconds. Felt like and sounded like gravel rock jumping around in an unsteady and shaky hand.
  • Berkeley, CA - Knocked books over, nicknacks fell off shelves. Sounded like a small explosion.
  • Los Altos Hills, CA - Two brief shakes - first one sort of a bump; second more pronounced. Light fixtures did not swing....no rolling sensation
  • 34 Turk St. #547 San Francisco, CA 94102 - I felt two shocks, the first was a rocking motion, from west to east facing east, second shock was much stronger, with a up and down force, I thought the wall behind me was going to collapse, in all in lasted about 3-5 seconds, shaking felt worse then the 5.8 quake back in October 2007
  • Dublin Ca - Both dogs jumped out of bed then I awoke. House creaking!
  • USGS San Francisco Bay Area, California Mar 05 13:33 3.5 8 MAP
  • Lafayette - Quick jolt!
  • USGS Baja California, Mexico Mar 05 08:11 2.9 12 MAP
    USGS Central California Mar 05 04:41 2.8 16 MAP

a
    QuakeSOS+ and QuakeSOS free are iPhone applications developed by Armand Vervaeck, the founder of Earthquake Report. The Application simplifies immediate group communication to friends and family members (with your exact GPS location) and is feeding the users with Earthquake Report news. The 0.99 US$ QuakeSOS+ version will support the activities of SOS Earthquakes.

a

Earthquake-Report.com headlines on twitter
    @OnlyQuakeNews : Get all the headlines of our earthquake-report.com articles + regular updates on ongoing events
    @QuakeSOS : earthquake-report.com news + automatic earthquake notifications of USGS earthquakes of M 4.0 or higher with emphasis to earthquakes in the America's and the Pacific Ocean sphere (4 and up) and a lot of the rest of the world (5 and up). This account was created for our QuakeSOS and QuakeSOS+ iPhone applications
    @ShakingEarth : earthquake-report.com news + automatic earthquake notifications of EMSC earthquakes of M 4.0 or higher with emphasis to earthquakes in European and Asian / Middle East sphere (4 and up) and a lot of the rest of the world (5 and up). This account was originally created to stimulate our Facebook account
    @QuakeMaps : earthquake-report.com news with mapping notifications of ALL earthquakes M 3.0 and higher from all over the world via EMSC and USGS. This account was created for our http://www.quake-maps.com website

X