Oklahoma earthquakes list + Oklahoma in-depth earthquake articles

Back to the Region / Country  OVERVIEW page
The list below shows the Oklahoma earthquakes

In depth articles on Oklahoma earthquakes written by Earthquake-Report.com
- 2 earthquakes (1 minor and 1 moderate) hit Luther, Oklahoma (April 16, 2013)
- Earthquake in the Oklahoma City Area, Oklahoma (February 27, 2013)
- Oklahoma / Tulsa M 4.7 and M 5.6 earthquakes + November 7 aftershocks (November 5, 2011)
- Unusual moderate earthquake near Oklohoma City (October 13, 2010)

TRY our unique ER Twitter @Quake_TrackerOK, reporting only Oregon
(including portions of the neighbouring states and the Pacific Ocean).
Probably the only one in the world combining earthquakes with I Have Felt It
reports
 coming from our readers. Try us, you will not regret it.
Online since December 21, 2012

Label info : M = magnitude, D = depth (km), Time = UTC – Oklahoma = UTC – 6

USGS Edmond, Oklahoma Nov 19 08:20 2.9 5 MAP I Felt It
  • Oklahoma city - Weak shaking
  • Edmond,OK - 2:13am, awaken from sleep by a 3.7, followed 8 minutes after, with a weak tremor.
  • Edmond - Lasted 5 seconds with two after quakes.
  • USGS Edmond, Oklahoma Nov 19 08:12 3.7 5 MAP I Felt It INFO
    USGS Cherokee, Oklahoma Nov 12 20:30 2.8 5 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Helena, Oklahoma Nov 09 15:54 2.5 6 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Cherokee, Oklahoma Nov 09 15:42 2.6 4 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Tuttle, Oklahoma Nov 09 14:39 2.9 5 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Perry, Oklahoma Nov 08 23:57 2.8 2 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Perry, Oklahoma Nov 08 11:47 3.7 5 MAP I Felt It
  • Colorado Springs - Woke up last night because something was shaking my bed. I looked around but did not see anything. It lasted 5-7 seconds. It was the middle of the night, I don’t know the exact time.
  • EMSC Oklahoma Nov 08 11:47 3.7 5 MAP I Felt It INFO
    USGS Crescent, Oklahoma Nov 04 01:17 2.7 5 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Cherokee, Oklahoma Nov 03 10:26 2.8 2 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Hennessey, Oklahoma Nov 03 08:45 2.6 3 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Medford, Oklahoma Nov 03 03:45 2.6 5 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Cherokee, Oklahoma Nov 02 23:31 3.3 5 MAP I Felt It INFO
    EMSC Oklahoma Nov 02 23:31 3.3 5 MAP I Felt It
  • Huntsville, AL - About 30 seconds. Haven\'t surveyed the damage yet. Likely none.
  • USGS Hennessey, Oklahoma Nov 02 22:31 2.5 4 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Hennessey, Oklahoma Oct 31 14:15 2.7 4 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Hennessey, Oklahoma Oct 31 12:18 3.0 3 MAP I Felt It INFO
    USGS Hennessey, Oklahoma Oct 31 10:30 2.9 7 MAP I Felt It
  • Loyal - Woke up to things on the walls shaking

• Data sources courtesy : USGSEMSCGFZGEONET

Have you felt an earthquake ? Tell us

Comments

1. fred pottorf says:

Strong jolt followed by several seconds of mild shaking

2. Mister Peach says:

Why is it that the overwhelming majority of these quakes happening very late in the night or very early in the morning?

There is no reason to give for this (at this moment). As you can see in our list below, they happen during day and night everywhere in the world all the time. Lets call it a coincidense that you have another perception :)

• Mister Peach says:

Here in Oklahoma, some news sources have questioned whether injection wells are contributing to these quakes. Are these wells actually causing quakes and are they run at night to reduce engine overheating generated by the process?

Well .... Oklahoma is of course a seismically active state. So the frackers will tell it is tectonic, something like cancer and cigarettes. Who is to blame for the cancer. Even frackers agree that injecting wastewater in the underground can generate earthquakes up to M4 so far (our experience). Only injecting wastewater at night looks technically silly to us though. The mistery will probably go on for a little while until more evidence is found

• Please take a look at my site. I have been researching a phenomenon called the Mystery Booms which seems to be related to meteors but according to earthquake-report.com it seems people are mistaking Meteor explosions for earthquakes depending on how you experienced it. these explosions can cause 3.0 earthquake like rumbles which are very short and sharp. I have found many people reporting hearing a Booms with what they think is an earthquake. Ever since the meteor explosion in Russia there seems to be in increase of Fireball explosions and it seems that it happens in the same region months or weeks between happen mainly at night and morning hours. Please visit the American Meteor Society to see the increase. If you have heard a boom and think its an earthquake please report it to earthquake-report.com or AMS so the authorities can investigate. To learn more just type in the key word "Mystery Booms" on u-tube, Thank you.

3. I was on the second floor of my house. It was centered very close to me. Thought a car ran into my house.

4. Helena-Sophia Exel says:

Aloha!
      Looking at the 'IRIS' Seismic Monitor there was a Mag 5.6 Earthquake on Nov 17th at 04:48:57 located in Oklahoma. Now I am wondering why USGS does not report this quake? The one they are reporting struck at a different time and was much smaller. Here is the IRIS quake:
      Is there any more information available?

Mahalo Nui Loa for everything You do!

Helena-Sophia

Looks, like they can make errors too :) - Of this would have been the case, we would have been inundated with hundreds of experience reports. Thanks Helena-Sophia for telling us , we appreciate it