Earthquakes in the world on August 12, 2013 (M4.5 or more) – Very strong earthquake near coast of Peru

Last update: August 12, 2013 at 9:34 pm by By

This is the Major daily earthquakes overview. Earthquakes of M 2.5 or more, click here.

Very Strong earthquake out of the Piura coast in Northern Peru
More INFO and MAPS about this earthquake : CLICK HERE

We have deleted the 04:20 M6.3 in Tokumaru Bay, New Zealand
As Geonet does not mention it anymore
We have also deleted the North Pacific Ocean earthquake as only EMSC reported this very strong earthquake. No other trace in the world which is not possible. We are sorry about these hoaxes but we rely on the data we receive automatically from many parties.
The “Whakatane” deleted earthquake is still in the automatic feed of Geonet and keeps coming back in the list, we are sorry for this.

Very strong earthquake at an intermediate depth in Tibet, China
More INFO and MAPS about this earthquake : CLICK HERE

Earthquake-Report.com needs your skills

2013 earthquake damage and injuries overview

Because of our growing popularity, we urgently need volunteers (limited time activities per day/week/event) for the following tasks : earthquake article writer(s) (living in Asia, Pacific or Western USA), earthquake damage scanners (general AND language specific like Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, etc), earthquake data collector(s), social media specialist(s), Facebook Page Admin(s), volcano and landslide news scanners as well as a couple of other small tasks. Tell us what you think you can do and become a part of the best non-governmental earthquake information network in the world.

Label info : M = magnitude, D = depth (km), Time = UTC – Click here for the Time Zone world map.
Click here for examples of our “earthquake notifications (button below)”
NEW EARTHQUAKES and EXPERIENCE REPORTS WILL APPEAR AUTOMATICALLY

EMSC Near S. Coast Of Honshu, Japan Aug 12 16:25 4.6 354 MAP I Felt It
GEOFON Near S. Coast Of Honshu, Japan Aug 12 16:25 4.7 353 MAP I Felt It INFO
EMSC Near East Coast Of Honshu, Japan Aug 12 12:59 5.0 10 MAP I Felt It
GEOFON Near East Coast Of Honshu, Japan Aug 12 12:59 5.0 18 MAP I Felt It INFO
USGS Iwaki, Japan Aug 12 12:59 4.9 20 MAP I Felt It
EMSC Near Coast Of Northern Peru Aug 12 09:49 6.2 10 MAP I Felt It
  • Piura - Vibrations stronger than felt before in 5 years in the north of Peru. Lasted for around 15-20 seconds in total and felt in 3 separate waves. ER : Thank you for your experience report, we appreciate it
  • Villa Chatito - light shaking
  • Chulucanas - It woke me up!
  • GEOFON Near Coast Of Northern Peru Aug 12 09:49 6.2 16 MAP I Felt It INFO
    USGS Paita, Peru Aug 12 09:49 6.1 10 MAP I Felt It
    GEOFON Xizang Aug 12 08:09 4.9 11 MAP I Felt It INFO
    EMSC Eastern Xizang Aug 12 08:09 4.9 10 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Wangda, China Aug 12 08:09 5.0 9 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Modayag, Indonesia Aug 12 06:40 4.6 63 MAP I Felt It INFO
    GEOFON Northern Molucca Sea Aug 12 06:40 4.6 52 MAP I Felt It
    EMSC Molucca Sea Aug 12 06:40 4.7 60 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Sardinal, Costa Rica Aug 12 05:19 5.1 42 MAP I Felt It
    EMSC Off Coast Of Costa Rica Aug 12 05:19 5.0 48 MAP I Felt It
  • Chiclayo - Noticiable horizontal shake from east to west, about 5 seconds. Long Vibration about 10 seconds
  • Sardinal, Costa Rica - Fluid back and forth motion. No damage.
  • Playa Poyrero - No big whup.
  • Nuevo Arenal - Felt like someone bumped into the chair I was sitting in
  • sabalito de Tilaran - Nice back and fourth swaying. Was awake but had I been sleeping I wouldn't have felt it. Enough to shake me up a bit! :)
  • San Jose, Costa Rica - On the tenth floor of the Crowne Plaza Corobici near downtown San Jose,C.Rica. Building sway was obvious.
  • Potrero - I thought a heavy truck was driving by, but then I realized there aren't heavy trucks here the way there is at home in Chicago. The shaking lasted less than a minute.
  • Monteverde - We are at a hotel here in Monteverde. The bed and room shook.
  • GEOFON Off Coast Of Costa Rica Aug 12 05:19 5.4 19 MAP I Felt It INFO
    GEOFON Xizang Aug 12 01:34 4.6 10 MAP I Felt It INFO
    EMSC Eastern Xizang Aug 12 01:34 4.6 20 MAP I Felt It
    GEOFON Banda Sea Aug 12 00:53 6.1 106 MAP I Felt It INFO
  • Darwin Australia - Computer monitors shaking on level 7 of office building
  • Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia - Seemed to go on for a couple of minutes
  • Darwin City - Computers wobbled and the plants moved as well as the water in my cup was sloshing around
  • Darwin, Australia - Felt shaking for quite some time.
  • Darwin Australia - On 9th floor of office block darwin city
  • Darwin Northern Territory - In Darwin CBD - very strong shaking of 3 storey building for a good 5-8 seconds.
  • katherine NT - Felt house shaking wondered if i was imagining it but i wasn't.
  • Darwin, NT - lasted for several minutes
  • Darwin, NT, Australia - Windows shook, whole house shook ( elevated house)
  • Darwin NT - We felt the ground rumble, I thought it was a truck going past at first but then it went just a bit too long to be a truck!
  • Darwin, NT - Light shaking of floor, table, and computers, which went on and off for about 20 seconds. No noise.
  • Winnellie, NT - Mild rumbling of single story building
  • Casuarina Darwin - lasted 30 seconds, co -workers also in office felt chairs shaking and under feet from floor.
  • lyons - I thought there was someone in my garage as the internal door was shaking, the dog dug out of our yard and ran around the block before barking at front door only 10mins before. There was a few before shocks and then the house rocked as if the washing machine had gone crazy on a spinning cycle. And this is in a low set modern brick house.
  • Darwin, NT. Australia - Office shook for over 30 seconds
  • USGS Saumlaki, Indonesia Aug 12 00:53 6.0 91 MAP I Felt It
    EMSC Kepulauan Babar, Indonesia Aug 12 00:53 6.1 110 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Shizunai, Japan Aug 12 00:51 4.8 70 MAP I Felt It
    EMSC Hokkaido, Japan Region Aug 12 00:51 4.9 69 MAP I Felt It INFO
    GEOFON Hokkaido, Japan Region Aug 12 00:51 5.0 45 MAP I Felt It
    EMSC Eastern Xizang Aug 12 00:11 4.7 30 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Wangda, China Aug 12 00:11 4.6 58 MAP I Felt It

Data sources courtesy : USGSEMSCGFZGEONET (New Zealand only)

Useful information to read this daily earthquake list
    The INFO link behind earthquakes is showing additional information and a map with older seismicity in the epicenter area.
    The multi-source approach has been setup to compare values as seismology is not an exact science and needs a lot of calculations. The reference for the time zone is UTC (Coordinated Universal Time, also called GMT). Color explanation if we add some details above the list : green color = NOT dangerous for damage or injuries, orange color = MODERATE risk for damage or injuries, red color = CONSIDERABLE risk for damage or injuries

REAL TIME EARTHQUAKE LISTS – WORLD – REGIONS – COUNTRIES – STATES

Our Fast Earthquake and Tsunami Twitter Accounts :
    M4+ALLM5+M6+CHILICANADABRITISH COLUMBIACALIFORNIAOREGONWASHINGTONHAWAIITEXASOKLAHOMA

Comments

1. rich says:

the 6.0 was a real earthquake but a deep one up to the north in the kermadec trench. i felt it in wellington in a high rise building

Thanks Rich, we will add the Kermadec quake. Mystery why it did not appear automatically. The deleted ones where other ones.