Earthquakes in the world on March 27, 2013 (M4.5 or more) – Earthquake in Taiwan

Last update: March 27, 2013 at 11:28 pm by By

REAL TIME EARTHQUAKE LISTS – WORLD – REGIONS – COUNTRIES – STATES
Major daily earthquakes overview. Earthquakes of M 2.5 or more, click here.

Magnitude 6.0 earthquake in Taiwan kills 1 and injures tens of people
A strong magnitude 6.0 earthquake just hit 21km from Buli, Taiwan at a depth of 20.7km, USGS predicts a maximum shaking of IV on the Mercalli Scale wish is the same as “Light Shaking”. Will update if more information comes. If you felt this earthquake please write your experience on the “I felt it” down below.
Click here for more information

If you are a (student) geologist / seismologist / volcanologist and you want to share
your knowledge with our many readers from all over the world, think about
becoming a volunteerContact us for more information
Fast EARTHQUAKE and TSUNAMI TWEETS @ your MAGNITUDE choice
Damage Overview
Regional Twitter Accounts : CHILICANADABRITISH COLUMBIACALIFORNIA -
OREGON
WASHINGTONHAWAIITEXASOKLAHOMA

Label info : M = magnitude, D = depth (km), Time = UTC – Click here for the Time Zone world map.
Click here for examples of our “earthquake notifications (button below)”
NEW EARTHQUAKES and EXPERIENCE REPORTS WILL APPEAR AUTOMATICALLY

ER I Felt A (not Listed) Strong Earthquake Mar 27 23:59 4.6 0 MAP I Felt It
EMSC South Of Fiji Islands Mar 27 17:45 4.8 140 MAP I Felt It
GEOFON South Of Fiji Islands Mar 27 17:45 4.7 207 MAP I Felt It INFO
USGS South Of The Fiji Islands Mar 27 17:44 4.7 147 MAP I Felt It
EMSC South Sandwich Islands Region Mar 27 06:42 5.4 10 MAP I Felt It INFO
GEOFON South Sandwich Islands Region Mar 27 06:42 5.4 25 MAP I Felt It
USGS South Sandwich Islands Region Mar 27 06:42 5.5 10 MAP I Felt It
EMSC South Sandwich Islands Region Mar 27 05:59 5.6 10 MAP I Felt It
GEOFON South Sandwich Islands Region Mar 27 05:59 5.6 32 MAP I Felt It
USGS South Sandwich Islands Region Mar 27 05:59 5.6 10 MAP I Felt It
USGS Taiwan Mar 27 02:03 6.0 20 MAP I Felt It
EMSC Taiwan Mar 27 02:03 6.0 21 MAP I Felt It
  • Taichung City - About 30 seconds long with slow but strong lurching roughly E-W.
  • Chungli Taiwan - Very short shaking but I could feel it in the ground floor of my apartment.
  • Taipei - I'm with my wife's family in Taipei and we're on the 11th floor and the building was swaying some, but not enough to make my father-in-law nervous.
  • Miaoli City - Everything in our apartment started shaking lightly. We're on the 3rd floor of a 10 floor apartment building. Consistent shaking for about 10 seconds (?)
  • Taipei - This one swayed me side to side, made me feel a little queasy and uneasy, but NOT cheesy. Feels like I was on a boat at sea. Been a couple of medium sized quakes this month already.
  • Taipei - longer than usual for this type. Must have been strong somewhere.
  • Taipei - Quite a bit of swaying. I was getting a little worried as it's a bit worse than the usual ones we have. The building continued to sway a little while after the main shock.
  • Taichung - In car, stopped in traffic. Car shook and swayed significantly, along with adjacent cars.
  • Fuqing, China - Short tremor, less than 5 secs followed by a smaller one. Probably originating off Taiwan.
  • Taipei - It was more rocking than shaking. Thought I was feeling dizzy until I saw the scissors on the wall rocking gently back and forth.
  • Tainan - In the office, everyone stops and looks at each other. Skype pals start to check with each other and wonder where the epicenter was. Looks like Nantou county, but we don't know how serious it is or isn't there.
  • Kaohsiung - Very long but steady and moderate.
  • Taoyuan - I was on the 8th floor of a hotel near Taoyuan airport and it was definitely swaying quite a bit.
  • Zhushan Town - I was actually in bed. It woke me up. It felt longer than usual, saw from the window, a few neighbors going out worried and a few power cables shaking. In the 3rd floor some stuff fell from my roommate's desk. Also computer screen hanging from the cable.
  • Taichung - At work on the 14th floor, started with a bit of rocking and gradually worked up to shaking and some of our doors swayed shut and things fell on the floor. Lasted for quite a while, rather scary! My co-workers and I went to the nearest pillar column, and looked out the window. There's constructions for a new high-rise condo across the street, it's up to the 12th floor now, hope everyone is alright!
  • Daan - It makes me fell dizzy and nausea, the building where i am it swayed and fells like I'm on the rocking chair. Thank God that we are safe :)
  • Taichung - At university, whole school shook, professors and students ran outside and down the stairs.
  • Taichung City - I was om the second floor of a factory, it rocked from side to side by about 1 foot. First earthquake for me. It felt like turbulence. The people with me were wide eyed..haha.
  • Keqiao - Felt light earthquake.
  • Cyonglin, Hsinchu County - Very long, more swaying than shaking, although at one point it got a bit stronger and rattled the dishes piled in the sink. We're on the 1st floor of a 12 floor building.
  • Taichung - Coming from Malaysia and not having any earthquake experiences before, this one left a very deep impression. I was in class when the tremors came, and at first I thought the person behind me was shaking my seat, but then the lights started to swing and the room was swaying to the sides. It was so scary that I am still shaking as I'm typing this. All classes were suspended and one building suffered a lot of damage with cracks in the walls for every floor.
  • Hsinchu, Taiwan - Ground shook in Hsinchu for thirty seconds. Strongest I have ever felt I have lived here for 2 and half years.
  • Taichung - Where in a huge building near taichung Airport and the floor just sept fwd and backwards 3 times. I am from Canada so this was quite scary for me. My wife on the 25th floor downtown saw the chadelier hit the ceiling 3 times and the shaking went a lot longer. Denis. 3/27 2013. 10:03 AM
  • Taichung - Walls are cracked through both sides, broken windows.
  • Taichung City - Strong, slow E-W swaying. Abut 30seconds duration.
  • Xianxi, Changhwa County - Started with a gentle swing and began to intensify. Felt considerable shaking on the ground floor. My wife was on the 19th floor in Tunghai University (Xitun District, Taichung) and felt dizzy with the shaking.
  • Miaoli - I've been in Taiwan for less than 2 months and I've already felt two earthquakes, this one by far the strongest. It was quite scary this time as it was longer and I could see the street lights outside swaying quite a bit. O.o
  • Hsinchu City - The ceiling rocked back and forth (side to side), building swayed and I heard horrible creaking sounds as everything shifted back and forth - and I only live on the 2nd floor!
  • GEOFON Taiwan Mar 27 02:03 5.9 10 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Hokkaido, Japan Region Mar 27 01:25 5.0 280 MAP I Felt It
    GEOFON Hokkaido, Japan Region Mar 27 01:25 4.8 275 MAP I Felt It
    EMSC Hokkaido, Japan Region Mar 27 01:25 4.9 295 MAP I Felt It INFO

Data sources courtesy : USGSEMSCGFZGEONET (New Zealand only)

Earthquakes occurred yesterday (UTC time), but today local time

Georgia (sak’art’velo) Mar 26 23:35 PM M 4.8 Depth 10 km

Useful information to read this daily earthquake list
    The INFO link behind earthquakes is showing additional information and a map with older seismicity in the epicenter area.
    The multi-source approach has been setup to compare values as seismology is not an exact science and needs a lot of calculations. The reference for the time zone is UTC (Coordinated Universal Time, also called GMT). Color explanation if we add some details above the list : green color = NOT dangerous for damage or injuries, orange color = MODERATE risk for damage or injuries, red color = CONSIDERABLE risk for damage or injuries

Comments

1. jason says:

Coming from Malaysia and not having any earthquake experiences before, this one left a very deep impression. I was in class when the tremors came, and at first I thought the person behind me was shaking my seat, but then the lights started to swing and the room was swaying to the sides. It was so scary that I am still shaking as I’m typing this. All classes were suspended and one building suffered a lot of damage with cracks in the walls for every floor.