Earthquakes in the world on February 27, 2013 (M4.5 or more) – Today is exactly 3 years after the deadly Chile earthquake

Last update: February 28, 2013 at 12:14 am by By

REAL TIME EARTHQUAKE LISTS – WORLD – REGIONS – COUNTRIES – STATES
Major daily earthquakes overview. Earthquakes of M 2.5 or more, click here.

Too many moderate relatively shallow earthquakes along the costs of New-Zealand
The last couple of weeks we saw numerous moderate earthquake (around Magnitude 5) at relatively shallow depths (5 to 50 km) below land or along the coasts of the North Island and South Island.
Today Geonet reported already 3 – 1 near Christchurch, 1 at Ruatoria and 1 in the Hokitika Greymouth area. Earlier similar earthquakes were reported near Mount Egmont and near Blenheim. Nothing really serious but all of them enough to scare people.
Link to detailed maps of Hokitika earthquake (see below)
Link to detailed maps of Christchurch earthquake (see below)
Link to detailed maps of Ruatoria earthquake (see below)

Today is exactly 3 years after the deadly Chile earthquake
The 8.8 earthquake and tsunami caused serious damage all over Chile, with the estimated value of the damage at US$30 billion, including $10 billion of public infrastructure. 370,000 homes were damaged or destroyed by the quake, which saw over 500 people lose their lives.

Fast EARTHQUAKE and TSUNAMI TWEETS @ your MAGNITUDE choice
Damage Overview
Regional Twitter Accounts : CHILICANADABRITISH COLUMBIACALIFORNIA -
OREGON
WASHINGTONHAWAIITEXASOKLAHOMA
Screen Shot 2013-02-21 at 10.17.41 HUMANITY ROAD : Internet Based Disaster Response

Label info : M = magnitude, D = depth (km), Time = UTC – Click here for the Time Zone world map.
Click here for examples of our “earthquake notifications (button below)”
NEW EARTHQUAKES and EXPERIENCE REPORTS WILL APPEAR AUTOMATICALLY

ER I Felt A (not Listed) Strong Earthquake Feb 27 23:59 4.6 0 MAP I Felt It
EMSC Ryukyu Islands, Japan Feb 27 23:37 4.8 10 MAP I Felt It INFO
USGS Ryukyu Islands, Japan Feb 27 23:37 4.7 11 MAP I Felt It INFO
GEOFON New Britain Region, P.n.g. Feb 27 23:34 4.6 66 MAP I Felt It INFO
EMSC New Britain Region, P.n.g. Feb 27 23:34 4.6 66 MAP I Felt It INFO
GEOFON Off Coast Of Oregon Feb 27 22:25 4.8 10 MAP I Felt It INFO
  • Dallas, Oregon - A huge rumble that lasted a few seconds.
  • Dallas, Oregon - I heard a loud "boom" sound and a then a quick shake of the house.
  • EMSC Off Coast Of Oregon Feb 27 22:25 5.2 10 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Off The Coast Of Oregon Feb 27 22:25 5.1 9 MAP I Felt It
    GEOFON Eastern Siberia, Russia Feb 27 18:23 4.6 10 MAP I Felt It
    EMSC Northeastern Sakha, Russia Feb 27 18:23 4.6 10 MAP I Felt It INFO
    USGS Eastern New Guinea Region, Papua New Guinea Feb 27 12:13 4.6 127 MAP I Felt It
    GEOFON Eastern New Guinea Reg., P.n.g. Feb 27 12:13 4.8 120 MAP I Felt It
    EMSC Kermadec Islands, New Zealand Feb 27 06:49 5.1 23 MAP I Felt It
    GEOFON Kermadec Islands, New Zealand Feb 27 06:49 5.2 10 MAP I Felt It INFO
    GEONET Ruatoria Feb 27 04:28 4.9 26 MAP I Felt It
    GEOFON Kermadec Islands Region Feb 27 04:27 5.1 46 MAP I Felt It INFO
    USGS Kermadec Islands, New Zealand Feb 27 04:27 4.8 12 MAP I Felt It INFO
    EMSC Kermadec Islands, New Zealand Feb 27 04:27 5.0 10 MAP I Felt It INFO

Data sources courtesy : USGSEMSCGFZGEONET (New Zealand only)

Earthquakes occurred yesterday (UTC time), but today local time

Near East Coast Of Kamchatka  M5.3 at 133 km depth

Useful information to read this daily earthquake list
    The INFO link behind earthquakes is showing additional information and a map with older seismicity in the epicenter area.
    The multi-source approach has been setup to compare values as seismology is not an exact science and needs a lot of calculations. The reference for the time zone is UTC (Coordinated Universal Time, also called GMT). Color explanation if we add some details above the list : green color = NOT dangerous for damage or injuries, orange color = MODERATE risk for damage or injuries, red color = CONSIDERABLE risk for damage or injuries