This (almost) daily post intends to follow up the activity changes of volcanoes all over the world.
This post is written by geologist Richard Wilson who specializes in Volcano seismicity and Armand Vervaeck. Please feel free to tell us about new or changed activity if we haven't written about it. -
October 6 , 2012 volcano activity
Just returned from the field. It's good to be home!
- Volcano-seismicity seems at a slightly higher level at Pacaya (Guatemala) (station PCG) during my absence, sustained at nearby Santa Maria (station STG6), and at a diminished, but still high level at Fuego volcano (station FG3).
- Some sort of malware prevents me from checking-in on the volcanoes of El Salvador and Nicaragua today.
- Seismicity is low the active Colombian volcanoes we have been watching (Nevado Del Ruiz, Galeras, Sotara, Cumbal, and Machin). Earthquake swarms have occurred in the past week at Cumbal and Galeras though.
- In New Zealand, volcanic tremor at White Island has strengthened (and become rhythmic/harmonic) since my last look about a month ago.
- Recent satellite imagery shows SO2-rich plumes eminating from Popocatepetl, Ambrym volcano (Vanuatu), Bagana (Bougainville Island), Krakatoa (Sunda Strait), and Nyiragongo (DRC).