(Major) Earthquakes list September 29, 2012 – Strong earthquake (aftershock) in Guerrero state, Mexico

Last update: September 30, 2012 at 12:35 pm by By

REAL TIME EARTHQUAKE LIST S – WORLD – REGIONS – COUNTRIES – STATES
Felt an earthquake ?
Click on I FELT IT below or use the form at the bottom.
Worldwide earthquakes M 4.4 or higher.  Earthquakes of M 2.5 or more, click here.

Strong earthquake (aftershock) in Guerrero state, Mexico
Based on the number of visitors joining us from Mexico, we believe that an earthquake occurred in Mexico
When you have felt an earthquake a little while ago, please write us what you have felt as soon as possible
Update : preliminary Magnitude M5.7  - preliminary epicenter location : 38 km from Pinotepa National
Update : The earthquake has been well felt in Mexico City as we mant readers from Mexico City have joined Earthquake-Report.com
Update 07:28 UTC : Magnitude 5.8 Epicenter : 28 km from Ometepec and 28km (17mi) SSE of Ometepec, Mexico
This earthquake has to be called an aftershock  (mainshock was M7.4 and occurred on March 20 earlier this year)
Update 07:36 UTC : People are getting accustomed to these aftershocks as we see that most people (contrary to the first period after the mainshock) are returning to their beds. The earthquake occurred after midnight local time.
The shaking was better felt in the south of Mexico City than in the North.
Local media are reporting a Magnitude of 6.0 No damage has been reported so far
Update 07:39 UTC : Based on the data we possess right now and the aftershocks which occurred in the area since the mainshock, Earthquake-report.com does not expect any serious damage or injuries.
Update 07:41 UTC : 59000 people will have felt a moderate MMI V shaking and 792000 a light shaking (MMI IV)
Update 07:47 UTC : telecommunications are down in Pinotepa Nacional
Update 07:47 UTC : USGS has lowered the Magnitude from a preliminary value of M5.8 to M5.5

Label info : M = magnitude, D = depth (km), Time = UTC - Click here for the Time Zone world map.
Click here for examples of our “earthquake notifications (button below)”
Keep this page open (in a browser tab) – NEW POSTINGS WILL APPEAR AUTOMATICALLY

GEOFON Banda Sea Sep 29 16:25 4.8 587 MAP I Felt It
EMSC South Sandwich Islands Region Sep 29 16:13 4.7 82 MAP I Felt It
USGS South Sandwich Islands Region Sep 29 16:13 4.7 82 MAP I Felt It
USGS Mindoro, Philippines Sep 29 14:12 5.0 186 MAP I Felt It
EMSC Luzon, Philippines Sep 29 14:12 5.1 180 MAP I Felt It
ER I Felt A (not Listed) Earthquake Sep 29 12:00 4.6 0 MAP I Felt It
  • Saracena,CS. - This building/condo is built on rock vibrations are transmitted through the steel frame and the floors. I'm a light sleeper. There's no joy in terremoto.
  • oklahoma - i was about to fall asleep but my bed was shaking and i heard a crash in the kitchen. it broke some glass things but at least no one was hurt
  • ER I Felt A (not Listed) Earthquake Sep 29 12:00 4.6 0 MAP I Felt It
  • Toronto Ontario Canada - plants and fluid beverages were vibrating, increasing in intensity then an abrupt stop about 315 pm est sept 29 2012..checked internet and its time coincided with a increase in vibration felt on a reader in texas
  • Toronto - I was in Toronto too but I did not feel anything, Cem.
  • Alexandria VA - I felt a slight tremor. Perhaps I had a hang over after a frenzied party Hatiyeh D
  • Palmerston NT 0830 - Was in Target looking at some tablecloths when I felt the floor shake and as I looked at the tablecloth display (in plastic covers and hanging up on display)and they were (visibly)swaying gently on the hooks. Thought it was due to a large woman walking past behind me but friend pointed out that we were standing on a solid concrete floor...this was at approx 4.30 on 29/9/12.
  • USGS Nicobar Islands, India Region Sep 29 11:24 5.3 28 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Guerrero, Mexico Sep 29 07:11 5.5 10 MAP I Felt It
  • Mexico City - Light shaking here in Mexico City
  • GEOFON Near Coast Of Guerrero, Mexico Sep 29 07:11 5.1 15 MAP I Felt It
    EMSC Dodecanese Islands, Greece Sep 29 05:25 4.6 10 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Dodecanese Islands, Greece Sep 29 05:25 4.6 10 MAP I Felt It

Data sources courtesy :  USGSEMSCGFZGEONET

Earthquakes occurred yesterday (UTC time), but today local time

Pakistan Sep 28 22:14 PM M 4.3 Depth 10.0 km

seismograph - recordingUseful information to read this daily earthquake list
    This earthquake list covers important earthquakes in the world.
    If a more detailed page is present, the earthquake line will be linked to the detailed page.
    For your comfort, we will provide in most cases a Google Satellite Map to give you an idea where the earthquake struck, which terrain it happened and if villages or cities are located in the immediate vicinity. The multi-source approach has been setup to compare values as seismology is not an exact science and needs a lot of calculations. The reference for the time zone is UTC (Coordinated Universal Time, also called GMT). Color explanation if we add some details above the list :
    green color = NOT dangerous for damage or injuries
    orange color = MODERATE risk for damage or injuries
    red color = CONSIDERABLE risk for damage or injuries

QuakeSOS+ and QuakeSOS free are iPhone applications developed by Armand Vervaeck, the founder of Earthquake Report. The Application simplifies immediate group communication to friends and family members (with your exact GPS location) and is feeding the users with Earthquake Report news. The 0.99 US$ QuakeSOS+ version will support the activities of SOS Earthquakes.

a

Earthquake-Report.com headlines on twitter
    @OnlyQuakeNews : Get all the headlines of our earthquake-report.com articles + regular updates on ongoing events
    @QuakeSOS : earthquake-report.com news + automatic earthquake notifications of USGS earthquakes of M 4.0 or higher with emphasis to earthquakes in the America’s and the Pacific Ocean sphere (4 and up) and a lot of the rest of the world (5 and up). This account was created for our QuakeSOS and QuakeSOS+ iPhone applications
    @ShakingEarth : earthquake-report.com news + automatic earthquake notifications of EMSC earthquakes of M 4.0 or higher with emphasis to earthquakes in European and Asian / Middle East sphere (4 and up) and a lot of the rest of the world (5 and up). This account was originally created to stimulate our Facebook account
    @QuakeMaps : earthquake-report.com news with mapping notifications of ALL earthquakes M 3.0 and higher from all over the world via EMSC and USGS. This account was created for our http://www.quake-maps.com website

Comments

1. Sian Jones says:

Why was my entry moved from Banda Sea quake to Not listed Quake??? It would have been the Banda Sea one as here in Darwin we often feel the tremors from the quakes that happen in the Banda Sea!

Hi Sian, simply because this particular earthquake at the Banda Sea cannot reach to Darwin. You need at least M 6 earthquakes and then only very sensitive people or objects may feel something. This particular earthquake was relatively weak and at a depth of 500 km, in the inner hot solid layer of the earth. I am curious though which earthquakes are being felt in Darwin, so please let us know in the future. Armand