(Major) Earthquakes list September 26, 2012 – Very powerful earthquake in Alaska

Last update: September 27, 2012 at 7:46 am by By

REAL TIME EARTHQUAKE LIST S – WORLD – REGIONS – COUNTRIES – STATES
Felt an earthquake ?
Click on I FELT IT below or use the form at the bottom.
Worldwide earthquakes M 4.4 or higher.  Earthquakes of M 2.5 or more, click here.
Personalized E-mail earthquake alerts for this area. Click on Subscribe to E-mail list of this page below and make your choice of ” delivery frequency” and “Magnitude”. Click here for more information.
We thank ER readers Paul (MN, USA) and Mereseini (Fiji) for their kind donation

Very powerful earthquake in Alaska
NO tsunami is expected from this earthquake.
The closest populated community is Adak (326 people), at a distance of 131 km from the epicenter.
A max. shaking of V MMI was reported.
The closest unpopulated island, is Tanaga volcano island. Because of the depth of the hypocenter, this earthquake is not volcano related.

Official tsunami message  :

PUBLIC TSUNAMI INFORMATION STATEMENT NUMBER 1
NWS WEST COAST/ALASKA TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER PALMER AK
344 PM AKDT WED SEP 26 2012

…A STRONG EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED BUT A TSUNAMI IS NOT EXPECTED ALONG THE CALIFORNIA/ OREGON/ WASHINGTON/ BRITISH COLUMBIA OR ALASKA COASTS… NO WARNING… NO WATCH AND NO ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FOR THESE AREAS.
Update
: Earthquake-report.com does not think that this earthquake will be damaging based on the data currently available.  The main trigger from this earthquake is a subduction fault. Today’s earthquake occurred in the middle of the (steep) subduction slope.

Moderate earthquake in inland Tanzania
A moderate earthquake struck the Dodoma area at 16:14 local time.
We have no reports of earlier recent earthquakes in this area.
Other distances from the epicenter :   35km (22mi) NNW of Msanga, Tanzania
The epicenter was very close to Highwat A104. The people from small settlements are farming in the epicenter area.
We do not expect any serious damage from this earthquake

Label info : M = magnitude, D = depth (km), Time = UTC - Click here for the Time Zone world map.
Click here for examples of our “earthquake notifications (button below)”
NEW EARTHQUAKES and EXPERIENCE REPORTS WILL APPEAR AUTOMATICALLY

USGS Andreanof Islands, Aleutian Islands, Alaska Sep 26 23:39 6.4 9 MAP I Felt It
USGS Andreanof Islands, Aleutian Islands, Alaska Sep 26 23:39 6.9 35 MAP I Felt It
GEOFON Andreanof Islands, Aleutian Islands Sep 26 23:39 6.4 10 MAP I Felt It
GEOFON South Of Fiji Islands Sep 26 17:15 5.3 98 MAP I Felt It
USGS Philippine Islands Region Sep 26 15:27 4.4 51 MAP I Felt It
EMSC Philippine Islands Region Sep 26 15:27 4.4 52 MAP I Felt It
EMSC Tanzania Sep 26 13:14 4.6 10 MAP I Felt It
USGS Tanzania Sep 26 13:14 4.5 10 MAP I Felt It
ER I Felt A (not Listed) Earthquake Sep 26 12:00 4.6 0 MAP I Felt It
  • Green Point, NSW, Australia - 2 weeks ago - Rumble, the house shook, no cracked walls or damage
  • Javea/Xabia, Spain - Two quakes, one at 5.40am and 8.20am, Spanish time. Short rumble and vibration felt in house on upper floor.
  • Chatsworth CA - Light shaking
  • Orinda, Ca - just felt a very small earthquake. But I confirmed i'm not the only one
  • GEOFON Southern Iran Sep 26 11:52 4.5 10 MAP I Felt It
    EMSC Gulf Of California Sep 26 00:17 4.9 10 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Gulf Of California Sep 26 00:17 4.8 9 MAP I Felt It
    GEOFON Baja California, Mexico Sep 26 00:05 4.6 10 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Gulf Of California Sep 26 00:05 4.6 10 MAP I Felt It
    EMSC Gulf Of California Sep 26 00:05 4.8 10 MAP I Felt It

Data sources courtesy :  USGSEMSCGFZGEONET

Earthquakes occurred yesterday (UTC time), but today local time

Solomon Islands Sep 25 19:42 PM M 4.7 Depth 24.0 km

seismograph - recordingUseful information to read this daily earthquake list
    This earthquake list covers important earthquakes in the world.
    If a more detailed page is present, the earthquake line will be linked to the detailed page.
    For your comfort, we will provide in most cases a Google Satellite Map to give you an idea where the earthquake struck, which terrain it happened and if villages or cities are located in the immediate vicinity. The multi-source approach has been setup to compare values as seismology is not an exact science and needs a lot of calculations. The reference for the time zone is UTC (Coordinated Universal Time, also called GMT). Color explanation if we add some details above the list :
    green color = NOT dangerous for damage or injuries
    orange color = MODERATE risk for damage or injuries
    red color = CONSIDERABLE risk for damage or injuries

QuakeSOS+ and QuakeSOS free are iPhone applications developed by Armand Vervaeck, the founder of Earthquake Report. The Application simplifies immediate group communication to friends and family members (with your exact GPS location) and is feeding the users with Earthquake Report news. The 0.99 US$ QuakeSOS+ version will support the activities of SOS Earthquakes.

a

Earthquake-Report.com headlines on twitter
    @OnlyQuakeNews : Get all the headlines of our earthquake-report.com articles + regular updates on ongoing events
    @QuakeSOS : earthquake-report.com news + automatic earthquake notifications of USGS earthquakes of M 4.0 or higher with emphasis to earthquakes in the America’s and the Pacific Ocean sphere (4 and up) and a lot of the rest of the world (5 and up). This account was created for our QuakeSOS and QuakeSOS+ iPhone applications
    @ShakingEarth : earthquake-report.com news + automatic earthquake notifications of EMSC earthquakes of M 4.0 or higher with emphasis to earthquakes in European and Asian / Middle East sphere (4 and up) and a lot of the rest of the world (5 and up). This account was originally created to stimulate our Facebook account
    @QuakeMaps : earthquake-report.com news with mapping notifications of ALL earthquakes M 3.0 and higher from all over the world via EMSC and USGS. This account was created for our http://www.quake-maps.com website

Comments

1. Madison Cory says:

How many people were killed or injured and displaced? Also, how many houses were destroyed or damaged during this earthquake?

2. mark sanchez says:

An observatione from one who likes to observe: three days ago I left a comment on volcano discovery website in regards to a diminishment in recent volcanic activity that they had made note of. I pointed out that at the same time the entire northern Pacific plate had been quiet for close to 24 hourss. The No Pacific plate then continued with extremely few events over the last three days. Another event that , to my mind looks like a “tell”, is that watching the swarm activity of quakes around Pr/Virgin Islands prior to and after major events seems to correspond to both types of events and their related magnitude. The Great Japan Quake started me into watching quake events

Dear Mark, Although not for specific times and areas, we are also making observations off-line about coming earthquakes after a certain bigger area is too quiet to be true. As the plate movement continues, the stress is building up and will have to be released somewhere at some time. Our ultimate goals is building a map where we indicate from light orange to dark red, the chances on the earthquake. The map will be based on the strength and frequency of earthquakes in a certain area. This should be a great job for science. Maybe science is somewhere busy building it in dark remote rooms, but we haven’t heard from them. Thanks for your observation. Join us as a volunteer and share what you are collecting with us. ER

• mark sanchez says:

Thank you for your response. I have always enjoyed observing nature and natural forces. I size up regions for increased probablity of a strike according to changes in rhe frequency of events. Last year, I actually called two events correctly, where I had made a call to my sister and then a brother, describing what I thought of as a very strong probability of an event. In both incidents, I received a call back that same evening with a somewhat excited ” A quake just hit where you said “. I have a knack for doing similar in other endeavours, also. Getting back to the current diminished events hitting the North Pacific, the region is still almost void of fresh events. On top of that, there has been a flurry of quakes hitting at the south end of the Gorda Plate in the last ten days. This plate runs from No California up to So Canada and is considered to be well overdue at this point in time. The Cascadia Fault has generated very big tsunamis in it,s history. One more point about this large Aleutian quake is that it did not trigger a response of a small swarm striking PuertoRico/Virgin Island area. In twenty months of watching quakes, I have come to pay attention to how there seems to be a correlation between larger events and swarms at these islands, either before and/or after. This quake did not generate any response there.This makes me wonder if this 6.4 Aleutian quake is a precursor quake, especially because such a large section of the plate has stayed really quiet Anyway, I enjoy your website here. I became familiar with it last year during the Tohuko Quake. I found your study of the El Hierro region very interesting. Maybe that is due to my Spanish heritage. I would enjoy volunteering with your efforts.