This (almost) daily post intends to follow up the activity changes of volcanoes all over the world.
This post is written by geologist Richard Wilson who specializes in Volcano seismicity and Armand Vervaeck. Please feel free to tell us about new or changed activity if we haven't written about it. -
September 9, 2012 volcano activity
San Cristobal eruption update
Too bad we can't access those San Cristobal seismograms!
- 1 Canadian (tourist) and 2 young Nicaraguans (guides) have escaped miraculously death when they climbed the volcano and where only a couple of minutes from the crater rim. Suddenly all started trembling and huge incandescent blocks were flying in the air and crashing near them.
Also other people climbing the volcano at lower altitudes were surprised by the 2 strong shakes and the falling hot debris.
- The authorities in Nicaragua are not really at ease with this volcano. Yesterday's ash eruptions went 5 km into the air. 421 families have been moved to safer grounds.
- This eruption shows to be more powerful than the one in 2006 were ash was thrown 3 km into the air.
- The safe NO-GO radius around the volcano has been set to 5 km.
- Yellow alert has been called in the Chinandego district. Leon and Managua have returned to the Green alert
- Ineter, the Nicaraguan volcano agency has reported that they are not expecting further eruptions. A spokesman from the agency said that the explosions are not considered as the start of an eruptive phase. Since 9 AM local time yesterday, no more explosions were observed.
- VAAC Washington, who is following up volcanic ash for Air Traffic, did not report any other ash columns after yesterdays explosions
Numerous, small seisms are still apparent on records from Apoyeque volcano (Nicaragua) (station APYN). Still not sure what to make of them though.
Seismicity continues at Little Sitkin volcano today (AK) (station LSSA).
Low-level seismicity and eruptive activity affect Popocatepetl (Mexico). The larger event on the Popo seismogram is a M4.7 earthquake that occurred along the west coast of Mexico overnight.
The Guatemalan volcanoes appear rather sedate this morning. Only some low-level tremor at both Pacaya and Fuego.
Numerous low frequency events and tremor have returned at Nevado Del Ruiz (station OLLZ) (Colombia). A strong earthquake swarm is underway at nearby Machin volcano (station CIMA) today. This is the most energetic seismicity to affect the volcano for some time (in over a year?).
Seismicity has returned to low levels at Tungurahua volcano after siginificant eruptive activity occurred there in late August (station RETU).
Continuous volcanic tremor shakes White Island (New Zealand) again today.
What a great video from KDEtna again. He used part of Etna yesterday's activity with earlier eruption footage and mixed it with modern pop music
Activity observed by satellites
Recent satellite imagery shows SO2 plume activity from Popocatepetl, Ambrym (Vanuatu), and Bagana (PNG).