(Major) Earthquakes list September 8, 2012 – 560 houses damaged after a moderate earthquake !

Last update: September 10, 2012 at 3:34 pm by By

REAL TIME EARTHQUAKE LIST S – WORLD – REGIONS – COUNTRIES – STATES
Felt an earthquake ?
Click on I FELT IT below or use the form at the bottom.
Worldwide earthquakes M 4.4 or higher. Earthquakes of M 2.5 or more, click here.
Personalized E-mail earthquake alerts for this area. Click on Subscribe to E-mail list of this page below and make your choice of ” delivery frequency” and “Magnitude”. Click here for more information.

Image courtesy and copyright radar-bogor.co.id

Shallow moderate Java earthquake damages houses and injures 3
At least 12 houses in Java’s Bogor district were seriously damaged by a seemingly harmless M4.8 earthquake who struck the area at 18:27 UTC. 3 people were injured. 2 villages suffered  the damage.
Update August 9 : The number of houses damaged so far has risen to 71. The affected villages were Desa Tugu Badak, Cihamerang, Cipeutey and Kabandungan.
Update August 10  : 562 houses were damaged in various degrees during the Bogor earthquake. 3 people were slightly injured and 115 people had to be evacuated. From these 560 houses, 68 houses were heavily damaged, 80 moderately damaged and 414 with minor damage.

Strong aftershock in Costa Rica.
A 5.6 magnitude earthquake at a depth of 35km (preliminary) struck the already damaged cities of Costa Rica, although the depth would make a IV shaking (light shaking) for 555,00o people, we cant exclude minor damage and more cracks to the damaged buildings and roads of the earthquake that hit earlier this week. A tsunami cant be generated.

Shaking map courtesy BMKG - greenish : moderate shaking

Very strong earthquake close to the Papua, Indonesia coast
56km (35mi) WNW of Nabire, Indonesia
The earthquake is not strong enough to generate a tsunami. As this is no subduction quake, the depth is measured to be 20 km.
Due to the close distance to the coast, a moderate shaking is expected in a radius of 50 km (will be felt by approx. 3000 people). As Papua New Guinea and Papua people are more or less accustomed to earthquakes, and if the earthquake parameters are correct, this earthquake is not considered as dangerous by ER.
Update 11:22 UTC : BMKG, the Indonesian seismological agency, reports a Magnitude of Ml6.3 but at a depth of 55 km.
Update 11:27 UTC : we can only locate a few very small settlements close to the epicenter, which confirms our initial expectations that this earthquake will be probably harmless

Label info : M = magnitude, D = depth (km), Time = UTC – Click here for the Time Zone world map.
Click here for examples of our “earthquake notifications (button below)”
NEW EARTHQUAKES and EXPERIENCE REPORTS WILL APPEAR AUTOMATICALLY

EMSC Philippine Islands Region Sep 08 22:11 4.8 40 MAP I Felt It
GEOFON Philippine Islands Region Sep 08 22:11 4.8 10 MAP I Felt It
USGS Southeast Of The Ryukyu Islands, Japan Sep 08 20:55 4.8 10 MAP I Felt It
EMSC Southeast Of Ryukyu Islands Sep 08 20:55 4.9 10 MAP I Felt It
GEOFON Southeast Of Ryukyu Islands Sep 08 20:55 4.8 10 MAP I Felt It
EMSC Costa Rica Sep 08 20:29 5.8 33 MAP I Felt It
USGS Costa Rica Sep 08 20:29 5.6 35 MAP I Felt It
GEOFON Costa Rica Sep 08 20:29 5.6 26 MAP I Felt It
  • San Ramon, Alajuela, Costa Rica - Unlike the quake that struck on 5 September, which i felt very strongly, this aftershock was mild, but still rattled the walls and made the lighting fixture sway--in Los Angeles sur, san Ramon, Alajuela, Costa Rica
  • Playa Domingo, Costa Rica - sitting in a beach chair - I thought someone was goofing around shaking my chair - unfortunately there was no one there.
  • GEOFON Philippine Islands Region Sep 08 18:40 4.6 37 MAP I Felt It
    GEOFON Java, Indonesia Sep 08 18:27 4.7 10 MAP I Felt It
    EMSC Java, Indonesia Sep 08 18:27 4.8 50 MAP I Felt It
  • Bogor Indonesia - It was shaking around 5 seconds. I felt it clearly. I'm on the 8th floor of the hotel in Bogor city, Indonesia.
  • USGS Java, Indonesia Sep 08 18:27 4.8 8 MAP I Felt It
    GEOFON Eastern New Guinea Reg., P.n.g. Sep 08 17:45 4.7 146 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Eastern New Guinea Region, Papua New Guinea Sep 08 17:45 4.9 139 MAP I Felt It
    EMSC Eastern New Guinea Reg., P.n.g. Sep 08 17:45 4.9 142 MAP I Felt It
    EMSC Turkmenistan Sep 08 03:17 4.6 2 MAP I Felt It
    EMSC Shikoku, Japan Sep 08 01:41 4.7 54 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Shikoku, Japan Sep 08 01:41 4.6 55 MAP I Felt It
  • Kochi city japan - Big earthquake
  • GEOFON Shikoku, Japan Sep 08 01:41 4.7 10 MAP I Felt It
    ER Unconfirmed Unlinked Experiences Sep 08 00:00 4.6 0 MAP I Felt It
  • Benoni, South Africa - on Saturday 8 September 2012 at 22h23 in the evening we experienced a fairly strong earthquake lasting about 10-20 seconds in Benoni central town and another member of our family felt it in Northmead x4 benoni, the two locations 6km apart. Miemie cell. 0842023010
  • Johannesburg, SA - Laying in bed at sometime after 22:30 and we felt the house shake from the bottom; unlike the "side" from thunder. Lasted about 10-15 seconds.

• Data sources courtesy : USGSEMSCGFZGEONET

Earthquakes occurred yesterday (UTC time), but today local time

Philippine Islands Region Sep 07 21:11 PM M 4.9 Depth 35.3 km

seismograph - recordingUseful information to read this daily earthquake list
    This earthquake list covers important earthquakes in the world.
    If a more detailed page is present, the earthquake line will be linked to the detailed page.
    For your comfort, we will provide in most cases a Google Satellite Map to give you an idea where the earthquake struck, which terrain it happened and if villages or cities are located in the immediate vicinity. The multi-source approach has been setup to compare values as seismology is not an exact science and needs a lot of calculations. The reference for the time zone is UTC (Coordinated Universal Time, also called GMT). Color explanation if we add some details above the list :
    green color = NOT dangerous for damage or injuries
    orange color = MODERATE risk for damage or injuries
    red color = CONSIDERABLE risk for damage or injuries

QuakeSOS+ and QuakeSOS free are iPhone applications developed by Armand Vervaeck, the founder of Earthquake Report. The Application simplifies immediate group communication to friends and family members (with your exact GPS location) and is feeding the users with Earthquake Report news. The 0.99 US$ QuakeSOS+ version will support the activities of SOS Earthquakes.

a

Earthquake-Report.com headlines on twitter
    @OnlyQuakeNews : Get all the headlines of our earthquake-report.com articles + regular updates on ongoing events
    @QuakeSOS : earthquake-report.com news + automatic earthquake notifications of USGS earthquakes of M 4.0 or higher with emphasis to earthquakes in the America’s and the Pacific Ocean sphere (4 and up) and a lot of the rest of the world (5 and up). This account was created for our QuakeSOS and QuakeSOS+ iPhone applications
    @ShakingEarth : earthquake-report.com news + automatic earthquake notifications of EMSC earthquakes of M 4.0 or higher with emphasis to earthquakes in European and Asian / Middle East sphere (4 and up) and a lot of the rest of the world (5 and up). This account was originally created to stimulate our Facebook account
    @QuakeMaps : earthquake-report.com news with mapping notifications of ALL earthquakes M 3.0 and higher from all over the world via EMSC and USGS. This account was created for our http://www.quake-maps.com website