(Major) Earthquakes list April 28, 2012 – Moderate earthquake in Southern California

Last update: April 29, 2012 at 8:17 am by By

REAL TIME EARTHQUAKE LIST S – WORLD – REGIONS – COUNTRIES – STATES
Felt an earthquake ?
Click on I FELT IT below or use the form at the bottom.
Worldwide earthquakes M 4.4 or higher. Earthquakes of M 2.5 or more, click here.
Personalized E-mail earthquake alerts for this area. Click on Subscribe to E-mail list of this page below and make your choice of ” delivery frequency” and “Magnitude”. Click here for more information.

Shaking intensities, max. light shaking (MMI IV)

Earthquake in Southern California
Epicenter close to Devore and 13 km (8 miles) W (270°) from Crestline, CA
16 km (10 miles) N (10°) from Fontana, CA
We expect a max. light shaking. Following the first incoming I Have Felt It reports, the quake was experienced as a strong jolt.  6,000 people will have felt a light shaking and 16 million people a weak shaking !
Earthquake-Report.com does not expect this earthquake to be damaging.
Update 15:56 UTC : Most people close to the epicenter are reporting a strong jolt for a couple seconds only. Strong short jolts are considered as less dangerous versus sustained shaking.  This is the second earthquake this week in California sending people in big numbers to our site. The first one was on Monday with epicenter near Laguna Niguel.

Weak earthquake felt in Beijing, Chinaclick here for our I Have Felt It reports

Very strong deep earthquake in the Tonga region
11:08:06 PM at epicenter –  - Epicenter location see below in list
Harmless for shaking damage and tsunami as the depth and source of earthquake is unable to generate strong shaking or tsunami waves. Additionaly, the people living in this region are familiar with strong shaking.
49 km (31 miles) W (267°) from Neiafu, Tonga
Official NOAA statement : A DESTRUCTIVE TSUNAMI WAS NOT GENERATED BASED ON EARTHQUAKE AND HISTORICAL TSUNAMI DATA.
Telecommunications in Tonga seem to work as we are noticing many readers from Tonga checking for more information.
Update 10:28 UTC
: USGS has decreased the Magnitude from Mw6.7 to Mw6.4. Depth has been adjusted to 129.4 km.
Expected MMI values (based on theoretical USGS data) : 9,000 people will have experienced a moderate MMI V shaking and 104,000 people a light shaking.  No damage is expected.
Update 13:17 UTC :
USGS has again changed the Magnitude and returns to his Mw6.7 value which was published during their first reporting.

Label info : M = magnitude, D = depth (km), Time = UTC – Click here for the Time Zone world map.

EMSC Baja California, Mexico Apr 28 21:25 4.1 0 MAP I Felt It
EMSC Greenland Sea Apr 28 17:11 4.4 2 MAP I Felt It
USGS Greenland Sea Apr 28 17:11 4.3 9 MAP I Felt It
GEOFON Salta Province, Argentina Apr 28 16:24 4.8 189 MAP I Felt It
USGS Jujuy, Argentina Apr 28 16:24 4.4 187 MAP I Felt It
EMSC Salta, Argentina Apr 28 16:24 4.4 181 MAP I Felt It
EMSC Southern California Apr 28 15:07 4.1 10 MAP I Felt It
  • 60 Calle Cadiz,LagunaWoods,92637 - at8:07AM the Crestline EQ I felt a light-short movement and then the cabinet shook for a Very short time I am on the 2nd floor of a frame 8 unit building J Duffy
  • Crestline, CA - It felt like an Angel was shaking the house. The earthquake didn't give off a deadly feeling, but rather a stable yet calm shake.
  • USGS Southern California Apr 28 15:07 3.8 13 MAP I Felt It
  • High Desert, ca - A jolt
  • Pasadena, Ca - 8:10 am,small tremor
  • Whittier - April 28th 2012 at 8:05 am. felt like a sharp jerk coming from the hills of whittier towards la mirada. Had a very distinct rolling feeling.
  • High Desert,ca - Strong jolt
  • California - I felt the shaking for 10 seconds and i thought there's gonna be another one so i waited and there's nothing, not even an aftershock
  • Burbank, CA - A shake, rattle and small roll. I was upstairs, so felt the roll. lasted 2-3 seconds.
  • Loma Linda - Light shaking indicated
  • Fontana - Upstairs when i felt it. It seemed to come from a northern direction. it was like i felt it coming cus my house shook a little and then really hard. lasted about 6 seconds
  • Upland, ca - Slight shaking wjth a bjt of a rolling sensation...enough to wake me up.but not enough to get out of bed for
  • Chino - felt one small jolt but heard it throughout my house.
  • San Dimas, ca - Felt slight shaking at about 8am
  • San Bernadino - I felt it for maybe 4 sec Never felt on before so it was enough to scare me
  • California - There was a sudden jolt and then it was followed by light shaking
  • Temple city, CA - I was laying on bed then ran under table with a lot of adrenaline to the case of bottled water stored there. Then I waited for an aftershock that never came and came out
  • Hesperia - Felt a quick jolt. Didnt even last long enough for my brain to tell me to get up lol
  • Rialto - Didn't really feel it as much as I heard it rumble from the windows. It lasted maybe 2 or 3 seconds.
  • Pasadena - Strong side to side shaking for about 3-5 seconds then a lower strength for about 10 seconds. Strong enough to make me worry.
  • Hesperia, CA - While sitting on toilet i started yelling at kids because I hought they were destroying house when I realized kids couldn't possibly make the whole bathroom shake for 3 secs!!!
  • Riverside, California - 8:10 a.m. Heard rumble, felt light shake and rattling of house, was expecting it to build but never did.
  • Twin Peaks, CA - The windows were rattling and it woke me up, but it didn't last long.
  • Twin Peaks, CA - Moderate shaking indicated
  • Pomona, ca - Felt the head board on my bed shake. I did get a little scared of course..
  • High Desert - A strong jolt felt
  • GEOFON North Of Honduras Apr 28 13:49 4.4 40 MAP I Felt It
    GEONET Ne Of New Zealand Apr 28 10:11 5.3 310 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Tonga Apr 28 10:08 6.7 129 MAP I Felt It
  • Nukualofa - Shaking enough to make pictures on the wall move and china in the cupboards rattle. Seemed to go on for some time.
  • Nuku'alofa, Tonga - The house Shook but just for little moment...
  • EMSC Tonga Apr 28 10:08 6.6 100 MAP I Felt It
    GEOFON Tonga Islands Apr 28 10:08 6.6 153 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Tonga Apr 28 10:08 6.7 117 MAP I Felt It
    GEOFON Timor Region Apr 28 08:55 4.9 10 MAP I Felt It
    EMSC Timor Region, Indonesia Apr 28 08:55 4.9 10 MAP I Felt It
    GEOFON Off West Coast Of Northern Sumatra Apr 28 05:53 4.4 10 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Vancouver Island, Canada Region Apr 28 03:42 4.5 15 MAP I Felt It
    EMSC Vancouver Island, Canada Region Apr 28 03:42 4.5 16 MAP I Felt It
    EMSC Eastern Turkey Apr 28 03:17 4.7 22 MAP I Felt It
    GEOFON Turkey Apr 28 03:17 4.6 10 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Eastern Turkey Apr 28 03:17 4.7 5 MAP I Felt It
    EMSC Iran-iraq Border Region Apr 28 00:34 3.9 5 MAP I Felt It

Earthquakes occurred yesterday (UTC time), but today local time

M 4.9      2012/04/27 19:22     Depth 58.2 km      NEW BRITAIN REGION, PAPUA NEW GUINEA

seismograph - recordingUseful information to read this daily earthquake list
    This earthquake list covers important earthquakes in the world.
    If a more detailed page is present, the earthquake line will be linked to the detailed page.
    For your comfort, we will provide in most cases a Google Satellite Map to give you an idea where the earthquake struck, which terrain it happened and if villages or cities are located in the immediate vicinity. The multi-source approach has been setup to compare values as seismology is not an exact science and needs a lot of calculations. The reference for the time zone is UTC (Coordinated Universal Time, also called GMT). Color explanation if we add some details above the list :
    green color = NOT dangerous for damage or injuries
    orange color = MODERATE risk for damage or injuries
    red color = CONSIDERABLE risk for damage or injuries

QuakeSOS+ and QuakeSOS free are iPhone applications developed by Armand Vervaeck, the founder of Earthquake Report. The Application simplifies immediate group communication to friends and family members (with your exact GPS location) and is feeding the users with Earthquake Report news. The 0.99 US$ QuakeSOS+ version will support the activities of SOS Earthquakes.

a

Earthquake-Report.com headlines on twitter
    @OnlyQuakeNews : Get all the headlines of our earthquake-report.com articles + regular updates on ongoing events
    @QuakeSOS : earthquake-report.com news + automatic earthquake notifications of USGS earthquakes of M 4.0 or higher with emphasis to earthquakes in the America’s and the Pacific Ocean sphere (4 and up) and a lot of the rest of the world (5 and up). This account was created for our QuakeSOS and QuakeSOS+ iPhone applications
    @ShakingEarth : earthquake-report.com news + automatic earthquake notifications of EMSC earthquakes of M 4.0 or higher with emphasis to earthquakes in European and Asian / Middle East sphere (4 and up) and a lot of the rest of the world (5 and up). This account was originally created to stimulate our Facebook account
    @QuakeMaps : earthquake-report.com news with mapping notifications of ALL earthquakes M 3.0 and higher from all over the world via EMSC and USGS. This account was created for our http://www.quake-maps.com website

Comments

1. Heather Bush says:

7:44pm small tremor for about 5-6 seconds