Earthquake overview : A very shallow earthquake 10 km out of the Irian Jaya coast, Indonesia has scared people who are not panicking for a little shaking, as earthquakes are almost common as bad weather in this area of the world.
“I have Felt it” Reports –> see below + Let us know “how you have felt this earthquake”
To read the full story as it happened, we advise our readers to start at the lower part of the page (earthquake data).
This article has been written by Armand Vervaeck, James Daniell and Carlos Robles
Check also our Indoensia-only earthquake list
Keep this page open or return regularly as we will be back with more details when they become available
Update April 23 – 10:17 UTC
A local Papua newspaper is giving a few more details on the inflicted damage.
- Landslides on the main road of Manokwari towards Ransiki have been cleared by workers
- The damage has occurred in the following villages : Ransiki, Tubou, Hamawi and Nyamtui
- The Pentecostal Church in Ransiki got a lot of damage.
- A bridge in Ransiki had many cracks and newly installed drains collapsed too
This reports mentions a lot of of cracked houses and some of them severely damaged.
Update April 22 – 17:49 UTC
The damage in the Ransiki districts (closest to the epicenter) is a lot bigger than initially expected. Almost all house walls have cracks and many houses were heavily damaged. The Ransiki mosque was also damaged.
We have no word of serious injuries but people are so afraid for strong aftershocks that they decided to stay overnight in the open air.
Update 11:23 UTC: It has been reported that the quake caused a bridge connecting the Ransiki-Manokwari to have minor damage. A total of 10 houses damaged moderately, and dozens of others were slightly damaged.
- Update 11:03 UTC
* As usual the local media are always focusing more on the bigger cities in the area, in this case Manokwari. In Manokwari people are saying that the strong shaking only lasted 3 seconds. People rushed out of the buildings. There was no news of any damage or injuries at Manokwari.
- The biggest city in the area is Manokwari who has experienced a strong MMI VI shaking. Manokwari has a population of 53,000 people.
- The fault who generated the earthquake is called “Ransiki fault”. Both sides of the fault are moving approx. 8.5 mm/year.
- Local BMKG is reporting a Magnitude of 6.8 at a depth of 10 km (bot stronger than reported by USGS)
- Modified Mercalli Shaking Intensities : 4,000 people : Severe VIII shaking, 8,000 people : Very strong VII shaking and 169,000 people VI strong shaking.
- GDACS has calculated that the following locations might get waves of max. 0.2 meter (not a real tsunami but only strong current and waves) : Rapaowi, Ransiki, Jali Ali, Sisember and Robookisbia
- 160,000 people are living within a radius of 100 km. The repartition of the population is as follows :
75 km 29000 people; 50 km 16000 people; 20 km 5200 people and 10 km less than 1000 people
Earthquake-report.com calls an area of 25 km at risk (about 7000 people – number based on GDACS data) for serious damage and injuries.
- Oransbari and Ransiki are 2 villages located in a radius of 25 km around the epicenter. Especially this area will get the greatest shaking impact. Based on satellite images, Ransiki seems to have a STOL airport (short take off and landing)
- The earthquake is somewhat weakened because of an epicenter just out in the sea
- Due to the Magnitude and the close distance to the beach, NOAA has published the following Tsunami statement for the Pacific region :
NO DESTRUCTIVE WIDESPREAD TSUNAMI THREAT EXISTS BASED ON HISTORICAL EARTHQUAKE AND TSUNAMI DATA.
EARTHQUAKES OF THIS SIZE SOMETIMES GENERATE LOCAL TSUNAMIS THAT CAN BE DESTRUCTIVE ALONG COASTS LOCATED WITHIN A HUNDRED KILOMETERS OF THE EARTHQUAKE EPICENTER. AUTHORITIES IN THE REGION OF THE EPICENTER SHOULD BE AWARE OF THIS POSSIBILITY AND TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTION.
Earthquake-Report.com GOOGLE+ / Earthquake-Report.com FACEBOOK
“I Have Felt It” reports as received by Earthquake-Report.com
See below for all the received Earthquake Experience reports as received by earthquake-report.com
Most important Earthquake Data:
Magnitude : Mw6.6
UTC Time : Saturday, April 21, 2012 at 01:16:52 UTC
Local time at epicenter : Saturday, April 21, 2012 at 10:16:52 AM at epicenter
Depth (Hypocenter) : 16 km (9.9 miles)
10 km SE from Ransiki, Papua, Indonesia
83 km (51 miles) SSE of Manokwari, Papua, Indonesia
Links to important maps
Google satellite map showing the epicenter and the surrounding area
Historic earthquakes map
Seismic hazard map
Focal mechanism report
Human impact map
GDACS earthquake report
NOAA Tsunami report
I Have Felt this earthquake
|EMSC||Kepulauan Babar, Indonesia||Apr 21 15:27||4.6||98||MAP I Felt It|
|USGS||Minahasa, Sulawesi, Indonesia||Apr 21 13:23||4.7||51||MAP I Felt It|
|EMSC||Minahasa, Sulawesi, Indonesia||Apr 21 13:23||4.8||60||MAP I Felt It|
|GEOFON||Irian Jaya Region, Indonesia||Apr 21 02:16||4.9||10||MAP I Felt It|
|EMSC||Near N Coast Of Papua, Indonesia||Apr 21 02:16||4.7||87||MAP I Felt It|
|USGS||Near The North Coast Of Papua, Indonesia||Apr 21 02:16||4.5||15||MAP I Felt It|
|EMSC||Near N Coast Of Papua, Indonesia||Apr 21 02:01||4.3||35||MAP I Felt It|
|USGS||Near The North Coast Of Papua, Indonesia||Apr 21 02:01||4.3||35||MAP I Felt It|
|EMSC||Near N Coast Of Papua, Indonesia||Apr 21 01:25||6.0||10||MAP I Felt It|
|GEOFON||Irian Jaya Region, Indonesia||Apr 21 01:25||6.0||10||MAP I Felt It|
|EMSC||Near N Coast Of Papua, Indonesia||Apr 21 01:25||5.6||10||MAP I Felt It|
|USGS||Near The North Coast Of Papua, Indonesia||Apr 21 01:25||5.6||27||MAP I Felt It|
|USGS||Near The North Coast Of Papua, Indonesia||Apr 21 01:16||6.6||16||MAP I Felt It|
|USGS||Near The North Coast Of Papua, Indonesia||Apr 21 01:16||6.9||33||MAP I Felt It|
|EMSC||Near N Coast Of Papua, Indonesia||Apr 21 01:16||6.6||10||MAP I Felt It|
|GEOFON||Irian Jaya Region, Indonesia||Apr 21 01:16||6.6||27||MAP I Felt It|
QuakeSOS+ and QuakeSOS free are iPhone applications developed by Armand Vervaeck, the founder of Earthquake Report. The Application simplifies immediate group communication to friends and family members (with your exact GPS location) and is feeding the users with Earthquake Report news. The 0.99 US$ QuakeSOS+ version will support the activities of SOS Earthquakes.
Earthquake-Report.com headlines on twitter
@OnlyQuakeNews : Get all the headlines of our earthquake-report.com articles + regular updates on ongoing events
@QuakeSOS : earthquake-report.com news + automatic earthquake notifications of USGS earthquakes of M 4.0 or higher with emphasis to earthquakes in the America’s and the Pacific Ocean sphere (4 and up) and a lot of the rest of the world (5 and up). This account was created for our QuakeSOS and QuakeSOS+ iPhone applications
@ShakingEarth : earthquake-report.com news + automatic earthquake notifications of EMSC earthquakes of M 4.0 or higher with emphasis to earthquakes in European and Asian / Middle East sphere (4 and up) and a lot of the rest of the world (5 and up). This account was originally created to stimulate our Facebook account
@QuakeMaps : earthquake-report.com news with mapping notifications of ALL earthquakes M 3.0 and higher from all over the world via EMSC and USGS. This account was created for our http://www.quake-maps.com website