Earthquake overview : A M6.12 earthquake has struck on the border of NT and SA in Australia. We expect some minor damage in the aboriginal communities and in some local homesteads.
“I have Felt it” Reports –> see below + Let us know “how you have felt this earthquake”
To read the full story as it happened, we advise our readers to start at the lower part of the page (earthquake data).
Keep this page open or return regularly as we will be back with more details when they become available
Update - Ernabella has around 600 residents according to local Ernabella Anangu School deputy principal Tony Nicholls. People rushed out into the streets but there are no reports of damage still.
“I heard rumbling and then the wall started shaking which lasted about 15 seconds,” Mr Nicholls said. (quote from Adelaide Now)
In addition, this shows the seismic stations in Adelaide (courtesy PIRSA).
It can be seen that the view that is usually used for earthquakes has been saturated at around 9.27am. (Adelaide is around 1200km from the epicenter).
Ernabella, 415km north west of Coober Pedy and about 320km south west of Alice Springs, just before 8pm. It is about 130km SE of Uluru.
- A magnitude of Ml6.12 has been given by Geoscience Australia. Given the remoteness it is difficult to constrain the magnitude.
-It has been given a M5.6 by other agencies.
Ernabella has an airstrip, and a few houses as far as can be seen. Many people live in the immediate area however. For the area of Ernabella from census data:- Total Persons : 332, Median Age of Persons 26, Labour Force: 124, Employed Fulltime: 53, Main Occupation: Labourers, Main Industry of Employment: School Education (Area School), Median Family Income ($/Weekly): 485, Total Private Dwellings: 97 , Average Household Size: 4.1, Average Number of Persons Per Bedroom: 1.7.
A seismogram from a station about 600km away is shown here in WA. It took about 90 seconds for the waves to reach this station. Courtesy of GA.
Geoscience Australia reported the quake could have been felt by people up to 500km away and damage experienced within a 40km radius of the epicentre.
“There are a number of Aboriginal communities near the epicentre and they would have felt the earthquake strongly,” he said.
“It is possible there could be some minor damage up there.”
An SA Police spokesman said there had been no reports of damage or injuries as yet, but being nightfall probably more information will be found tomorrow.
For more information on historic Australian earthquakes – all damaging earthquakes etc.:- http://www.aees.org.au/
The largest Australian Earthquakes from my coffee cup from the Australian Earthquake Engineering Society:-
7.2 Offshore WA 1906
6.9 Meeberrie WA 1941
6.8 Meckering WA 1968
6.7 Tennant Creek NT 1988
6.6 NE Tasmania TAS 1892
6.6 Broome WA 1929
6.5 Geraldton WA 1885
6.5 NE Tasmania TAS 1885
6.5 Beachport SA 1897
6.5 Simpson Desert NT 1941
- As far as some important online Australian press we could conclude that there was NO earthquake in Australia (written at 10:38 UTC), as no articles had been written at this point.
- Australian scientists have calculated that the earthquake will probably have been felt in a radius of 507 km around the epicenter. Damage might be inflicted in a radius of 40 km from the epicenter.
- Australia’s Geoscience is the organization with multiple instruments installed all over Australia and has to be considered as most accurate.
- GEOSCIENCE Australia has recalculated the earthquake data and is now reporting a M 6.1 ! magnitude at a depth of ONLY 3 km. This earthquake has to be called VERY DANGEROUS for the people living in the immediate vicinity of the epicenter.
- USGS has calculated that approx. 1,000 people will have experienced a strong shaking (MMI VI) and another 1,000 a moderate MMI V shaking. 3,000 people a light shaking.
- We have detected that a small village is located at max. 10 km of the epicenter (trusting that the epicenter location is correct, which is not always the case)
- We do not expect “experience reports” from this very remote area in Australia’s inland (we were wrong as we received a report from the greater epicenter within a short time after the earthquake – Thank you for informing the world)
- The earthquake occurred in the Australian desert
- All world agencies are reporting almost similar magnitudes (in between 5.4 and 5.7).
- The earthquake occurred during the Australian evening hours in a very sparsely populated area
- Geoscience Australia is reporting a Magnitude of 5.7, depth not yet calculated
Earthquake-Report.com GOOGLE+ / Earthquake-Report.com FACEBOOK
“I Have Felt It” reports as received by Earthquake-Report.com
See below for all the received Earthquake Experience reports as received by earthquake-report.com
Most important Earthquake Data:
Magnitude : 5.6 (USGS) – Ml 6.1 (Geoscience Australia)
UTC Time : Friday, March 23, 2012 at 09:25:16 UTC
Local time at epicenter : Friday, March 23, 2012 at 07:55:16 PM at epicenter
Depth (Hypocenter) : 10.7 km (6.6 miles)
Very close to Ngarutjara (risk area)
317 km (197 miles) SSW (213°) from Alice Springs, Australia
Links to important maps
USGS Did You Feel It Map
Google satellite map showing the epicenter and the surrounding area
Historic earthquakes map
Seismic hazard map
Focal mechanism report
Human impact map
I Have Felt this earthquake
|USGS||Bass Strait, Australia||Jan 12 20:21 PM||3.4||9||MAP I Felt It|
|GEOFON||South Australia||Nov 29 19:21 PM||4.4||108||MAP I Felt It|
|EMSC||South Of Australia||Nov 09 05:51 AM||5.1||2||MAP I Felt It|
|GEOFON||South Of Australia||Nov 09 05:51 AM||5.2||10||MAP I Felt It|
|USGS||South Of Australia||Nov 09 05:51 AM||5.1||10||MAP I Felt It|
|EMSC||Near S.e. Coast Of Australia||Sep 10 06:23 AM||3.5||27||MAP I Felt It|
|USGS||Near The Southeast Coast Of Australia||Sep 10 06:23 AM||3.2||0||MAP I Felt It|
|USGS||Northwest Of Australia||Aug 22 10:59 AM||4.6||14||MAP I Felt It|
|GEOFON||Northwest Of Australia||Aug 22 10:59 AM||5.0||10||MAP I Felt It|
|EMSC||Northwest Of Australia||Aug 22 10:59 AM||4.8||2||MAP I Felt It|
QuakeSOS+ and QuakeSOS free are iPhone applications developed by Armand Vervaeck, the founder of Earthquake Report. The Application simplifies immediate group communication to friends and family members (with your exact GPS location) and is feeding the users with Earthquake Report news. The 0.99 US$ QuakeSOS+ version will support the activities of SOS Earthquakes.
Earthquake-Report.com headlines on twitter
@OnlyQuakeNews : Get all the headlines of our earthquake-report.com articles + regular updates on ongoing events
@QuakeSOS : earthquake-report.com news + automatic earthquake notifications of USGS earthquakes of M 4.0 or higher with emphasis to earthquakes in the America’s and the Pacific Ocean sphere (4 and up) and a lot of the rest of the world (5 and up). This account was created for our QuakeSOS and QuakeSOS+ iPhone applications
@ShakingEarth : earthquake-report.com news + automatic earthquake notifications of EMSC earthquakes of M 4.0 or higher with emphasis to earthquakes in European and Asian / Middle East sphere (4 and up) and a lot of the rest of the world (5 and up). This account was originally created to stimulate our Facebook account
@QuakeMaps : earthquake-report.com news with mapping notifications of ALL earthquakes M 3.0 and higher from all over the world via EMSC and USGS. This account was created for our http://www.quake-maps.com website