Earthquake overview : At 08:56 local time a moderate earthquake struck only 24 km from Dhaka, Bangladesh. The earthquake was felt by millions of people.
“I have Felt it” Reports –> see below + Let us know “how you have felt this earthquake”
To read the full story as it happened, we advise our readers to start at the lower part of the page (earthquake data).
Check also our Bangladesh-only earthquake list
Keep this page open or return regularly as we will be back with more details when they become available
- The earthquakes epicenter was located about 10 km from the Padma river
- Dhaka is a city with a population of 6,488,623
- The earthquake was shallow and could thus well be felt by millions of people
- Bangladesh Meteorological Department reported that the M 4.6 tremor shook buildings in the capital Dhaka at 8:56 am. No casualties were reported immediately but panic broke out among a lot of Dhaka residents. The earthquake was also felt in Uttara, Mohakhali, Rampura and Mirpur.
- In average we can say that the earthquake had an intensity of IV (light shaking). Most people reported a V or VI MMI, but we know that people are inflating what they felt a little bit because they are not used to feeling earthquake shaking.
- We have seen NO reports of damage or injuries so far
Earthquake-Report.com GOOGLE+ / Earthquake-Report.com FACEBOOK
“I Have Felt It” reports as received by Earthquake-Report.com
See below for all the received Earthquake Experience reports as received by earthquake-report.com
Most important Earthquake Data:
Magnitude : 4.6
UTC Time : Sunday, March 18, 2012 at 02:56:10 UTC
Local time at epicenter : Sunday, March 18, 2012 at 08:56:10 AM at epicenter
Depth (Hypocenter) : 15.7 km (9.8 miles)
24 km (14 miles) WSW of DHAKA, Bangladesh
34 km (21 miles) SW of Tungi (Tongi), Bangladesh
106 km (65 miles) WNW of Comilla, Bangladesh
Links to important maps
USGS Did You Feel It Map
Google satellite map showing the epicenter and the surrounding area
Historic earthquakes map
Seismic hazard map
I Have Felt this earthquake
|EMSC||Bangladesh||Mar 18 02:56||4.7||80||MAP I Felt It|
|USGS||Bangladesh||Mar 18 02:56||4.6||15||MAP I Felt It|
QuakeSOS+ and QuakeSOS free are iPhone applications developed by Armand Vervaeck, the founder of Earthquake Report. The Application simplifies immediate group communication to friends and family members (with your exact GPS location) and is feeding the users with Earthquake Report news. The 0.99 US$ QuakeSOS+ version will support the activities of SOS Earthquakes.
Earthquake-Report.com headlines on twitter
@OnlyQuakeNews : Get all the headlines of our earthquake-report.com articles + regular updates on ongoing events
@QuakeSOS : earthquake-report.com news + automatic earthquake notifications of USGS earthquakes of M 4.0 or higher with emphasis to earthquakes in the America’s and the Pacific Ocean sphere (4 and up) and a lot of the rest of the world (5 and up). This account was created for our QuakeSOS and QuakeSOS+ iPhone applications
@ShakingEarth : earthquake-report.com news + automatic earthquake notifications of EMSC earthquakes of M 4.0 or higher with emphasis to earthquakes in European and Asian / Middle East sphere (4 and up) and a lot of the rest of the world (5 and up). This account was originally created to stimulate our Facebook account
@QuakeMaps : earthquake-report.com news with mapping notifications of ALL earthquakes M 3.0 and higher from all over the world via EMSC and USGS. This account was created for our http://www.quake-maps.com website