Earthquake overview : At 6:50 AM in the morning (local time), a strong dangerous earthquake occurred in Xinjiang, China.
“I have Felt it” Reports –> see below + Let us know “how you have felt this earthquake”
To read the full story as it happened, we advise our readers to start at the lower part of the page (earthquake data).
Check also our China-only earthquake list
Keep this page open or return regularly as we will be back with more details when they become available
Update 23:54 UTC :
- Xinjiang is the Chinese province which is also called the “Uyghur Autonomous Region“. Xinjiang is often hit bu strong, very strong to even massive earthquakes.
- Aral, the closest city to the epicenter (approx. 120 km) has a population of 200,000.
Update 23:54 UTC :
– Chinese authorities are very skilled in managing earthquake response and special teams will be dispatched to the greater epicenter area. Every crack in a house is recorded and logged, which makes the Chinese statistics among the most detailed in the world.
Update 23:47 UTC :
– The greater epicenter area is Taklamakan Desert (see image below). Peak ground acceleration is the direct epicenter area is limited.
Update 23:34 UTC :
– The Chinese Seismological Agency (to be trusted) reports a Magnitude of 6.0 at a depth of 30 km, a little stronger than USGS.
Update 23:30 UTC :
– WAPMERR, the theoretical damage engine has calculated that this earthquake will normally not make victims. The max. injured is 0 to 10.
Update 23:28 UTC :
– USGS has calculated (theoretical engines) that 4,000 people will experience a strong shaking, 3,000 a moderate shaking and 508,000 people a light shaking.
- Chinese houses are mostly build in brick and adobe and are very vulnerable for earthquake damage.
Update 23:22 UTC :
-Luckily the epicenter of this earthquake is located in an unpopulated area. GDACS gas calculated that only 3,523 people are living within a radius of 50 km. 7,224 people in a radius of 100 km and 581,583 people within a radius of 200 km.
- Earthquake-Report.com estimates that only the people living within a radius of 50 km have a potential danger of damage.
Update 23:18 UTC :
– Earthquakes with this magnitude can be very dangerous in China.
Update 23:14 UTC :
- (Preliminary) data from other seismological agencies :
EMSC : M 5.9 at 40 km
GEOFON : M 6.0 at 10 km
Earthquake-Report.com GOOGLE+ / Earthquake-Report.com FACEBOOK
“I Have Felt It” reports as received by Earthquake-Report.com
See below for all the received Earthquake Experience reports as received by earthquake-report.com
Most important Earthquake Data:
Magnitude : 5.8
UTC Time : Thursday, March 08, 2012 at 22:50:08 UTC
Local time at epicenter : Friday, March 09, 2012 at 06:50:08 AM at epicenter
Depth (Hypocenter) : 35.5 km
approx. 120 km from Aral (closest bigger city)
214 km (132 miles) SSE of Aksu, Xinjiang, China
282 km (175 miles) NNE of Hotan, Xinjiang, China
Links to important maps
USGS Did You Feel It Map
Google satellite map showing the epicenter and the surrounding area
Historic earthquakes map
Seismic hazard map
Focal mechanism report
Human impact map
GDACS earthquake report
I Have Felt this earthquake
|GEOFON||Southern Xinjiang, China||Mar 08 22:50||5.8||40||MAP I Felt It|
|USGS||Southern Xinjiang, China||Mar 08 22:50||5.8||35||MAP I Felt It|
|EMSC||Southern Xinjiang, China||Mar 08 22:50||5.8||40||MAP I Felt It|
|USGS||Southern Xinjiang, China||Mar 08 01:02||4.6||39||MAP I Felt It|
|EMSC||Southern Xinjiang, China||Mar 08 01:02||4.9||2||MAP I Felt It|
QuakeSOS+ and QuakeSOS free are iPhone applications developed by Armand Vervaeck, the founder of Earthquake Report. The Application simplifies immediate group communication to friends and family members (with your exact GPS location) and is feeding the users with Earthquake Report news. The 0.99 US$ QuakeSOS+ version will support the activities of SOS Earthquakes.
Earthquake-Report.com headlines on twitter
@OnlyQuakeNews : Get all the headlines of our earthquake-report.com articles + regular updates on ongoing events
@QuakeSOS : earthquake-report.com news + automatic earthquake notifications of USGS earthquakes of M 4.0 or higher with emphasis to earthquakes in the America’s and the Pacific Ocean sphere (4 and up) and a lot of the rest of the world (5 and up). This account was created for our QuakeSOS and QuakeSOS+ iPhone applications
@ShakingEarth : earthquake-report.com news + automatic earthquake notifications of EMSC earthquakes of M 4.0 or higher with emphasis to earthquakes in European and Asian / Middle East sphere (4 and up) and a lot of the rest of the world (5 and up). This account was originally created to stimulate our Facebook account
@QuakeMaps : earthquake-report.com news with mapping notifications of ALL earthquakes M 3.0 and higher from all over the world via EMSC and USGS. This account was created for our http://www.quake-maps.com website