Oklahoma earthquakes list + Oklahoma in-depth earthquake articles

Last update: April 16, 2013 at 8:31 am by By

Back to the Region / Country  OVERVIEW page
The list below shows the Oklahoma earthquakes

In depth articles on Oklahoma earthquakes written by Earthquake-Report.com
- 2 earthquakes (1 minor and 1 moderate) hit Luther, Oklahoma (April 16, 2013)
- Earthquake in the Oklahoma City Area, Oklahoma (February 27, 2013)
- Oklahoma / Tulsa M 4.7 and M 5.6 earthquakes + November 7 aftershocks (November 5, 2011)
- Unusual moderate earthquake near Oklohoma City (October 13, 2010)

TRY our unique ER Twitter @Quake_TrackerOK, reporting only Oregon
(including portions of the neighbouring states and the Pacific Ocean).
Probably the only one in the world combining earthquakes with I Have Felt It
reports
 coming from our readers. Try us, you will not regret it.
Online since December 21, 2012

Label info : M = magnitude, D = depth (km), Time = UTC – Oklahoma = UTC – 6

GEOFON Oklahoma Jul 29 02:46 4.4 10 MAP I Felt It INFO
EMSC Oklahoma Jul 29 02:46 4.3 8 MAP I Felt It
  • Wichita - Quick and weak at about 9:50 pm
  • Wichita, KS - House bumped up and down. No known damage
  • Wichita - Sitting in my room and my house shook pretty good
  • Wichita - Noticeable not to bad
  • Caldwell, KS - The house shook, lamps, TV monitors and Computer monitors shook. A rolling shake. Approximatly 9:49PM CDT.
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma - House shaking, considerable length. No known damage.
  • Wichita - No damage, felt at 9:47 pm (Central); also felt by friend in Derby, KS at the same time.
  • Wichita Kansas - No apparent damage.
  • Oklahoma City, OK - Two story house, felt it upstairs not downstairs, bed shook, and armoire door swung open; heard a rumbling noise.
  • Wichita, KS - The door and windows rattled just a bit
  • Andover - Felt like someone was running in the house. No damage and over very quickly.
  • Peck - Dog was barking
  • Mulvane - Floor shook a little.
  • USGS Medford, Oklahoma Jul 29 02:46 4.3 7 MAP I Felt It INFO
    EMSC Oklahoma Jul 16 09:18 2.5 4 MAP I Felt It
    EMSC Oklahoma Jul 16 02:54 2.5 6 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Luther, Oklahoma Jul 16 02:54 2.5 5 MAP I Felt It
    USGS Medford, Oklahoma Jul 15 10:47 3.0 1 MAP I Felt It
    EMSC Oklahoma Jul 15 10:47 3.0 2 MAP I Felt It INFO
    GEOFON Oklahoma Jul 15 09:08 4.3 10 MAP I Felt It INFO
  • Grand Marias, MN - Camping in the BWCAW and was awoken by the ground shaking early in the morning.
  • EMSC Oklahoma Jul 15 09:08 4.0 12 MAP I Felt It

Have you felt an earthquake ? Tell us

Comments

1. Mister Peach says:

Why is it that the overwhelming majority of these quakes happening very late in the night or very early in the morning?

There is no reason to give for this (at this moment). As you can see in our list below, they happen during day and night everywhere in the world all the time. Lets call it a coincidense that you have another perception :)

• Mister Peach says:

Here in Oklahoma, some news sources have questioned whether injection wells are contributing to these quakes. Are these wells actually causing quakes and are they run at night to reduce engine overheating generated by the process?

Well …. Oklahoma is of course a seismically active state. So the frackers will tell it is tectonic, something like cancer and cigarettes. Who is to blame for the cancer. Even frackers agree that injecting wastewater in the underground can generate earthquakes up to M4 so far (our experience). Only injecting wastewater at night looks technically silly to us though. The mistery will probably go on for a little while until more evidence is found

• Please take a look at my site. I have been researching a phenomenon called the Mystery Booms which seems to be related to meteors but according to earthquake-report.com it seems people are mistaking Meteor explosions for earthquakes depending on how you experienced it. these explosions can cause 3.0 earthquake like rumbles which are very short and sharp. I have found many people reporting hearing a Booms with what they think is an earthquake. Ever since the meteor explosion in Russia there seems to be in increase of Fireball explosions and it seems that it happens in the same region months or weeks between happen mainly at night and morning hours. Please visit the American Meteor Society to see the increase. If you have heard a boom and think its an earthquake please report it to earthquake-report.com or AMS so the authorities can investigate. To learn more just type in the key word “Mystery Booms” on u-tube, Thank you.

2. TJ says:

I was on the second floor of my house. It was centered very close to me. Thought a car ran into my house.

3. Helena-Sophia Exel says:

Aloha!
      Looking at the ‘IRIS’ Seismic Monitor there was a Mag 5.6 Earthquake on Nov 17th at 04:48:57 located in Oklahoma. Now I am wondering why USGS does not report this quake? The one they are reporting struck at a different time and was much smaller. Here is the IRIS quake:
      Is there any more information available?

Mahalo Nui Loa for everything You do!

Helena-Sophia

Looks, like they can make errors too :) – Of this would have been the case, we would have been inundated with hundreds of experience reports. Thanks Helena-Sophia for telling us , we appreciate it