May we kindly ask people who have felt this earthquake to share their experience with our readers (form below).
To read the full story as it happened, we advise our readers to start at the bottom of the page (earthquake data) and to continue going up.
Earthquake overview : A moderate earthquake has scared the Torino (Turin) area at 14:31 (2:31 PM) local time. Serious damage is not expected, but the very populated Torino area was seriously scared with the sometimes 20 seconds shaking. The earthquake was felt as far a the France Alps.
UPDATE 16:51 UTC : Some stones came loose of the Sacra di San Michele monastery on Mount Pirchiriano
UPDATE 16:49 UTC : Railway traffic (Torino – Modane and Turin – Torre Pellic) was suspended for a while as a precautionary measure. The traffic suspension had to enable engineers from the Italian Railways to carry out the necessary checks on the integrity of the infrastructure.
UPDATE 15:59 UTC : It may be good to give an overview of the different seismological data we could find :
INGV (specialist in Italy – works with his seismographs closest to the epicenter and to be trusted highly) : Magnitude : Ml 4.3 @ a depth of 25.1 km (in line with the felt reports we have received).
USGS : Mb 4.8 @ a depth of 9.9 km
EMSC : Ml 4.8 @ a depth of 25 km
GFZ : Mw 4.4 @ a depth of 5 km
Earthquake-report.com has made a short video with some content of this article. We advise however that those people who are really interested in this earthquake should read the full article, as it gives a full story of this event.
UPDATE : The epicenter area has only had very few tremors in the last couple of years.
UPDATE : The picture below is the INGV (Seismology Institute Italy) is the SHAKEMAP for this earthquake :
UPDATE : The INGV map below is showing that today’s earthquake occurred in an area with a medium seismic risk. The Torino area itself is considered as a minimal risk area. Red (High seismic risk) is not present on this map.
UPDATE : The following locations are within a radius of 10 km from the epicenter : Cantalupa (TO), COAZZE (TO), Cumiana (TO), FROSSASCO (TO), Giaveno (TO), Inverso Pinasca (TO), ARGENTINA Perosa (TO), Pinasca (TO), PORTE (TO), ROLETTO (TO), San Germano Chisone ( TO), SAN PIETRO VAL LEMINA (TO), VILLAR Perosa (TO)
UPDATE : The Fire departments have received hundreds of calls from concerned citizens. Some of the calls are reporting fallen tiles and plaster.
UPDATE : Many office buildings were evacuated after the earthquake.
UPDATE : People ran into the streets in many locations like in Sestriere and Bardonecchia. The earthquake was also felt in Aosta and Liguria.
UPDATE : reports are indicating that Phone lines were down for several minutes after the earthquake struck. Probably, as in so many other locations, due to a too heavy traffic!
UPDATE : A lot of I Did Feel it Reports we have received have been mentioning a Moderate to Light shaking (MMI IV to V). At a little more distance from the epicenter many people have reported a II to III (weak shaking).
Almost nobody reported a strong to very strong shaking, which is a good sign.
UPDATE : As far as the epicenter of this earthquake, many locations have been reported. One of the reports below states that the epicenter is in the direct Cumiano, Cantalupa area (west of Torino (Turin)).
INGV will be the best source to provide the exact location.
UPDATE : Earthquake-Report.com has been buried under an avalanche of Felt Reports from scared people. We are really happy that we have no substantial damage to report so far.
UPDATE : The Italian seismological service website (INGV) is (just like us in the beginning) down.
UPDATE : This earthquake was very well felt in the France Alps. We have reports coming as far as Bourg St Maurice (skiing area near Tignes etc).
UPDATE : It is really surprising that a weak 4.3 magnitude earthquake triggers so many scared people and is even inflicting minor damage to buildings. The earthquake as reported by many people lasted for approx. 20 seconds in some areas (not everywhere) which may explain the light damage. Also the fact that the epicenter of this earthquake is only 22 km from Torino, a major Italian city explains a lot of the present situation.
UPDATE : According to first witnesses, there are cracks that have opened in the walls of the house at number 79 of Corso Vercelli, in Turin.
IMPORTANT UPDATE : Shake 4.3 in Piedmont, very slight damage
Epicenter in the province of Turin, depth of ’25 km
Shake 4.3 in Piedmont, very slight damage (ANSA) – ROMA, 25 LUG – Strong earthquake today in Piedmont: the National Institute of Geophysics 14:32 chealle said there was an earthquake in Piedmont with a magnitude of 4.3, with coordinates of latitude and 44.28 longitude 7.28, and a depth of about 25 km. The common next to the epicenter were Cantalupa, Pinasca Dubbione and Cumiana. Hundreds of calls to the centers of emergency numbers can be reported at the time but only very slight damage.
UPDATE : INGV (Italy) has reported a Magnitude of 4.3
UPDATE : The epicenter was located below Alessandrino. Local media are talking about very scaring but NO damage or injuries, although based on our own experience, this is too soon to be sais.
UPDATE : This earthquake was felt as a weak shaking until France Val d’Isere (Mont Blanc area) : Felt report from there : le 25 juillet 2011 A 14h31 leger tremblement de terre à Val d’isere apparemment épicentre à Turin. Première exérience donc un peu fippant
UPDATE : USGS is giving a depth of 10 km which is a little bit more dangerous, but at this magnitude may not lead to serious damage
Epicenter reported to be 22 km away from Torino.
Preliminary epicenter : click here to see the map
FELT REPORTS from the greater epicenter area
- Giaveno : I was watching Tv when suddenly I heard all the house tremble and so I went out fast and all the windows were continuing to tremble.Great fright!!! (courtesy EMSC)
- Settimo Torinese : Lieve Scossa a settimo torinese – circa 2 secondi.
- more reports (weak shaking) are coming in from Torino
- Rivoli - light shaking indicated
- Torino : Circa 20 secondi di scossa sussultoria a Torino sud. (Moderate shaking indicated)
- Campo Ligure (Genova) – durata circa venti secondi – light shaking checked
- Settimo : Lieve Scossa a settimo torinese – circa 2 secondi.
- Sophia Antipolis (France ) : J’ai senti une secousse a mon lieu de travail a sophia antipolis il y’a a peu pres 5 ou 6 min. y’a t-il eu un tremblement de terre dans les environs?
- Val d’Isere (France) : le 25 juillet 2011 A 14h31 leger tremblement de terre à Val d’isere apparemment épicentre à Turin. Première exérience donc un peu fippant
- Ferrere d’Asti : vibrazione del divano per 2 – 3 secondi, lleggera oscillazione dei lampadari.
- Villafranca Piemonte : casa che tremeva. 4 secondi
- Campo Ligure : durata circa venti secondi
- Collegno Corso Francia : Collegno 14 e 35 circa, scossa di terremoto piuttosto intensa che sarà durata una decina di secondi ma abbastanza potente da far tremare tutta la casa e far scendere talmente tanta gente sul corso francia da quasi intasare il traffico per una decina di minuti !!! Bruttissima sensazione che mi ha messo non poca ansia !!!
- Torino. QUARTIERE: Barriera di Milano : ho sentito un boato e il rumore delle tapparelle, pensavo fosse solo il vento ma poi ho sentito i mobili scricchiolare.
- Serre Chevalier (France) : Bonjour, J ete assis sur le lit et il y a eu une seccousse a 14h34
- Torino : scossa 14.30 torino durata 15 secondi 4 piano di un palazzo vibrazione forte dei vetri torino nord ovest
- Moncalieri largo leonardo da vinci : Verso le 14:45 ho sentito il pavimento vibrare ed ho visto oscillare le piante del mio appartamento. Sono scita fuori ed ho visto che anche gli altri inquilini del palazzo avevano sentito le stesse cose.
- Portuguese in Torino (Turim) : Estou em Turim a trabalho e há alguns minutos atrás o prédio onde trabalho tremeu. Não foi forte, durou poucos segundos.
- Turin : 2.30 pm +/- Awakened from nap, rolling motion, doors swung back and forth — 4th floor, ferro concrete building, Parella or Tesoriera zone of Turin.
- TORINO BORGO SAN PAOLO : ore 14:30 circa avvertito scuotimento ondulatorio della durata di un paio di secondi circa per due volte consecutive.
- Rivarossa : Si è sentito come un rombo della durata di pochi secondi, i lampadari al primo piano hanno oscillato.
- Bourg Saint Maurice (France) : Aujourd’hui vers 14h mon frigo a tremblé, la table a tremblé et tout les verres de ma cuisine on tremblé. Je me suis cacher sous ma table mais sa c’était déja arreter. J’habite a bourg saint maurice …
- Lanse le Villard (France) : fort grondement et legère secousse ressenti à lanslevillard ( savoie ) vers 14h30.
- Bozel, Savoie, France : Felt in Bozel, the 3 Valleys region of French Alpes. Bottles started shaking and lightly banging together, thought imagined it at first, but I have a tiled floor!
- Lans le Villard, France : cette après midi vers 15H dans centre du village rue Montée du Coin ressenti secousse avec bruit assourdissant. Nos meubles ont bougés, et avons perdu l’équilibre. Pas de dégats constatés.
- Chambery, Savoie, France : j’ai sentis si je ne me trompe vers 14heures 45 un léger tremblement, mon lit a bougé j’en suis sure, pouvez vous me dire si oui la terre a légèrement tremblée, merci de votre attention
- Rivoli : At first seemed like a heavy truck was passing by, but after the first five seconds I went to check, five seconds later I grabbed the wife and cats and moved under a doorway and by that time it was ending… not really scary. You could say it was like having a huge truck barrelling down the street…
- Geneve, Switzerland : J’en suis certain que j’ai vu mon écran trembler pendant quelques secondes cet après-midi à Genève.
- Avigliana : ilyen erzesunk sosem volt-egy pillanatra ledobbentunk de aztàn azonnal kiszalattunk a kertbe.a morajlàs is nehàny pillanatig tartott de a remegès hosszan.sokàig nem mentunk vissza a hàzban mert fèltunk a kovetkezo rengestol. (Torino-Avigliana)
- Tignes, France : Tignes faibles secousses
- Serre Chevalier, France : I was sitting on the bed and i feel it at 14h34 more or less
- Cortemilia : I was on the 3rd floor. Lasted about 20 seconds
- Ceillac France : 2 PERSONNES ASSISES AUTOUR D’UNE TABLE DANS UN IMMEUBLE 2 EME ETAGE :VIBRATION AU NIVEAU DES JAMBES 3 4 SECONDES, PUIS VIBRATION DE LA TABLE RESSENTIE AU NIVEAU DES BRAS 6 7 ECONDES, 1 PERSONNE DANS UNE MEZZANINE DU MEME APPART ASSISE SUR UN LIT RESSENT LA MEME CHOSE, 1 PERSONNE DEBOUT DEVANT UN LAVE VAISSELLE NE RESSENT PRESQUE RIEN
- Nice, France : J’habite Nice quartier Nord (entrée autoroute). J’étais assise sur mon balcon. J’ai ressenti comme quand on a la tête qui tourne, j’ai pensé à un moment de faiblesse de ma part. Et puis le soir aux informations régionales, j’ai compris ce qui c’était réellement passé. C’était moins important que la fois précédente. Il y a du souci à se faire !
- Melino di Ledro : At a camping site in front of the tent, I felt the earth tremble. Once before I have felt something like this and I knew it was an earthquake. Other people shouted and talked about it as well. It lasted just under a minute. (MMI IV – light shaking)
- Turin (Torino) : Coming from earthquake-prone California, I was surprised to get one while on vacation in Turin. The shaking was moderate to strong, but the length of the quake surprised me. Most quakes are gone before you can think about it, but this one continued for quite some time, and I was afraid it might get stronger. Fortunately, though, it didn’t. (MMI VI – strong shaking)
- Bobbio Pellice – Villar Pellice : Wij waren in een pension tussen Bobbio Pellice en Villar Pellice en voelden rond half 4 ‘s middags, net voor we een kleine wandeling wilden beginnen, een licht trillen en hoorden ook een roffelend geluid. Enkele van onze groep lagen op het grasveld in de zon en konden het trillen daardoor nog beter voelen. Ons onderkomen, een groepsverblijf, liep gelukkig geen schade op, maar knakte wel hier en daar een beetje. Gelukkig verder niets alarmerends gehoord en gezien in de omgeving. III
M 4.8 USGS (INGV Ml 4.3) 2011/07/25 12:31 Depth 9.9 km USGS (INGV 25.1 km) NORTHERN ITALY
02:31:25 PM at epicenter
Moderate earthquake very close to Torino, Italy.
Normally harmless but due to the length of the shaking (20 seconds reported) we call this earthquake as moderately dangerous.
QuakeSOS+ and QuakeSOS free are iPhone applications developed by Armand Vervaeck, the founder of Earthquake Report. The Application simplifies immediate group communication to friends and family members (with your exact GPS location) and is feeding the users with Earthquake Report news. The 0.99 US$ QuakeSOS+ version will support the activities of SOS Earthquakes.
Earthquake-Report.com headlines on twitter
@OnlyQuakeNews : Get all the headlines of our earthquake-report.com articles + regular updates on ongoing events
@QuakeSOS : earthquake-report.com news + automatic earthquake notifications of USGS earthquakes of M 4.0 or higher with emphasis to earthquakes in the America’s and the Pacific Ocean sphere (4 and up) and a lot of the rest of the world (5 and up). This account was created for our QuakeSOS and QuakeSOS+ iPhone applications
@ShakingEarth : earthquake-report.com news + automatic earthquake notifications of EMSC earthquakes of M 4.0 or higher with emphasis to earthquakes in European and Asian / Middle East sphere (4 and up) and a lot of the rest of the world (5 and up). This account was originally created to stimulate our Facebook account
@QuakeMaps : earthquake-report.com news with mapping notifications of ALL earthquakes M 3.0 and higher from all over the world via EMSC and USGS. This account was created for our http://www.quake-maps.com website
I did feel it – Ik heb het gevoeld – Το έκανα αισθάνεται – Yo lo siento – 我的确感到了 – 私はそれを感じていました- Ich habe es gefühlt – Bunu hissediyorum yaptı – لم أشعر أنه