- The number of confirmed fatalities is now 165 (updated 1110hrs, 5 March).
- New Zealand Police have now identified 38 people who have died as a result of the earthquake.Police have released the names of seven more people confirmed dead following the Christchurch earthquake. They are:
¢ Joan Dorothy WEILD, 76
¢ Graham WEILD, 77
¢ Matthew Stuart McEACHEN, 25
¢ Neil Glyn STOCKER, 58
¢ Haruthaya LUANGSURAPEESAKUL, 32, of Thailand
¢ Scott William Emerson LUCY, 38
¢ Dr Mahdi ABBAS, 61
Our thoughts go out to their families and friends.
- In excess of 200 people are reported as missing (unaccounted for) in the worst-damaged sites in the city. This number will include many, or all, of the fatalities.
- 21,812 residential properties have been inspected of which 6% are red placarded (1,350 homes)
- A total fire ban remains in place across Canterbury. No fire permits will be issued.
- The state of national emergency extends until midnight 7 March.
- The focus of police and Urban Search and Rescue (USAR) has moved to recovering bodies.
- Planning is underway to allow greater public access to cordoned areas. This will ensure business and property owners have access to buildings prior to the public gaining unrestricted entry. The CBD will be divided into five zones. Zones 1-4 all surround the central red no go zone. Zones will be numbered in priority order.
Each zone will be opened in a phased approach allowing residents and business owners six hours to inspect and secure their properties, ahead of the cordon being lifted. From the opening of a zone, City Care-coordinated building teams and lock smiths will be available to assist.
The objective is to open zones 1 and 2 concurrently on Sunday, 6 March.
-Â All Christchurch Beaches are closed, with residents advised to keep away from North Beach, Waimairi and Parklands areas in particular due to sewage being flushed into the sea at these points.
- Residents are also advised to avoid rivers, the estuary and the sea, because of sewage overflows in the Avon and Heathcote rivers.
- Christchurch City Council Unit Manager Transport & Greenspace Alan Beuzenberg says the plants and trees in Hagley Park are currently being assessed. œA couple of the large trees have fallen over, there is liquefaction throughout, broken pipes, cracked paths, uneven ground and drained ponds. œHagley Park is an icon to the Garden City and it™s sad to see it damaged.
Hagley Park North experienced significant liquefaction and Mona Vale also suffered severe damage to its homestead and gatehouse.
- New Zealanders will be able to donate their accumulated tax credits from donations they have made in the current tax year to the Christchurch Earthquake Appeal, Revenue Minister Peter Dunne announced today.
- Acting Energy and Resources Minister Hekia Parata today acknowledged and thanked electricity, gas and fuel companies for the hard work and support they are providing to the people of Christchurch.
- Education Minister Anne Tolley says that alternative plans are in place for over 1700 students from two of the Christchurch schools severely damaged in last week™s earthquake, with planning well underway for all of the city™s school students.
QuakeSOS+ is an iPhone application developed by Armand Vervaeck, the creator and main contributor to Earthquake Report. The Application simplifies immediate group communication to friends and family members (with your exact GPS location) and is constantly feeding the users with œEarthquake Report news. Together with your own family and friends, QuakeSOS+ will be your closest earthquake friend. Buying QuakeSOS+ will support the activities of SOS Earthquakes.
Quake-Maps.com was also created by SOS Earthquakes. Quake-Maps.com makes it easy to let the world know which shaking people have experienced during the earthquake. Quake-Maps.com gives also the opportunity to write some additional text. Filling up the form takes only 1 minute. Quake-Maps.com gives an overview of all the resent earthquakes and let you even go back in time and retrieve earthquakes of a certain date in the past.
Earthquake-Report.com headlines on twitter
@OnlyQuakeNews : Get all the headlines of our earthquake-report.com articles + regular updates on ongoing events
@QuakeSOS : earthquake-report.com news + automatic earthquake notifications of USGS earthquakes of M 4.0 or higher with emphasis to earthquakes in the America’s and the Pacific Ocean sphere (4 and up) and a lot of the rest of the world (5 and up). This account was created for our QuakeSOS and QuakeSOS+ iPhone applications
@ShakingEarth : earthquake-report.com news + automatic earthquake notifications of EMSC earthquakes of M 4.0 or higher with emphasis to earthquakes in European and Asian / Middle East sphere (4 and up) and a lot of the rest of the world (5 and up). This account was originally created to stimulate our Facebook account
@QuakeMaps : earthquake-report.com news with mapping notifications of ALL earthquakes M 3.0 and higher from all over the world via EMSC and USGS. This account was created for our http://www.quake-maps.com website